2 new Waxbills pairs - 1 missing feathers?!?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Sandra
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

2 new Waxbills pairs - 1 missing feathers?!?

Post by Sandra » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:11 pm

So about 1 month ago I got 1 pair of Orange Cheeks and 1 pair of Gold Breasted. They are all 4 together.

All seemed going great and they all seem to behave normally.

Anyone know why 1 Orange cheeks has missing feathers or almost bare on side of its breast? Im including a photo but its not showing well.

BTW, I never seen any of them fight with another. I never seen one push another to take its spot. They the most gentle finches Ive ever had. Only thing Im remembering now is that feathers on that side was slightly darker when I got the birds. They all were purchased together.
Attachments
20171212_200415.jpg

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: 2 new Waxbills pairs - 1 missing feathers?!?

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:23 am

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

It is possible that your other Orange Cheek is over preening his buddy. Not all feather plucking is done due to aggression.

At times it's due to boredom, other times it's due to birds looking for nestng materials.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sandra
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Sandra » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:03 am

lovezebs wrote: Sandra

Hi Sandra,

It is possible that your other Orange Cheek is over preening his buddy. Not all feather plucking is done due to aggression.

At times it's due to boredom, other times it's due to birds looking for nestng materials.
I have no clue! Both couples preen each other quite a bit. Last few days we've had darker days ... so maybe they get bored with less light.

I dont want to breed my birds. Any suggestions on what I could do "if" they looking for nesting material?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:00 pm

Sandra

I would recommend making a foraging box for your birds to help with the boredom.

All you need is :

A tupperware box and a mixture of:
Some hay
Alfalfa
Twigs
Seed heads
A few rocks
Spray millet crumbles
Freeze dried or live mealworms
Bits of crinkle paper
Crushed egg shells
Bits of cuttle bone
Some seed mix
Bits of dry grass (not sprayed with anything)
Some dry leaves, etc.

Just a bunch of things to keep them foraging, and doing something other than constantly preening.

These items can be intermixed to keep things interesting, and cleaned out once they get soiled. It's basically a play area for your birds to do what comes naturally.

Daily baths are very good as well, both for entertainment and for the feathers.

If you don't have swings, get some. Most birds love LOVE them.

Some fake greenery hung in the flight cage is also great fun.

If you're not interested in breeding, then don't offer nests.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sandra
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Sandra » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:59 pm

lovezebs wrote: Sandra

I would recommend making a foraging box for your birds to help with the boredom.

All you need is :

A tupperware box and a mixture of:
Some hay
Alfalfa
Twigs
Seed heads
A few rocks
Spray millet crumbles
Freeze dried or live mealworms
Bits of crinkle paper
Crushed egg shells
Bits of cuttle bone
Some seed mix
Bits of dry grass (not sprayed with anything)
Some dry leaves, etc.

Just a bunch of things to keep them foraging, and doing something other than constantly preening.

These items can be intermixed to keep things interesting, and cleaned out once they get soiled. It's basically a play area for your birds to do what comes naturally.

Daily baths are very good as well, both for entertainment and for the feathers.

If you don't have swings, get some. Most birds love LOVE them.

Some fake greenery hung in the flight cage is also great fun.

If you're not interested in breeding, then don't offer nests.
Thats awesome, thanks! I'll see what I can put together! Youre correct, I dont want them to breed. And yes I offer them fresh bath daily but so far onky the Orange cheeks use it. I have a large cage but not a flight cage why I hesited on the swing. But now Ill try a swing see if they like. Thanks!!!

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:06 pm

Sandra - one more suggestion: if you only have the perches that came with the cage, use some natural branches (thick, thin and skinny). Put them at an angle and it will help your birds use all their muscles in many different ways. They also have to balance more than if the perches are just placed horizontally. You can also use a natural stick and some wire to make your own swing.
Iso

PS: I love the idea of a forage box!

Sandra
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Sandra » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:13 pm

isobea wrote: Sandra - one more suggestion: if you only have the perches that came with the cage, use some natural branches (thick, thin and skinny). Put them at an angle and it will help your birds use all their muscles in many different ways. They also have to balance more than if the perches are just placed horizontally. You can also use a natural stick and some wire to make your own swing.
Iso

PS: I love the idea of a forage box!
Thanks! I have thinnest natural branches I could find. They hook up horizontally only. Just the treat stick is on angle, they go there

Sandra
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Sandra » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:29 am

Im not sure what happened, but the feathers from that spot are already grown! So I put some toys in the cage and they love pulling on strings so theres strings here and there and the treats are in angle so it take time for they to hang on and eat. They see to love a small mirror with a bell.... he pulls on the bell.

So just the orange cheeks plays .... the golden breasted dont play ... they eat, groom each other and thats it