From death to introduction, my finches have a lot going on

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Rocki_finch
Pip
Pip

From death to introduction, my finches have a lot going on

Post by Rocki_finch » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:58 am

Hello everyone! Newbie here! I'm here for guidance and advice for my finches, Brooke (6) and Holly (1). Here is the story:

Brooke's best friend, Le Pop (5) passed away on a Thursday. With an attempt to prevent depression and loneliness we picked up Holly the next day, Friday, from a pet store. There were about 6-7 finches in a cage too small for my my liking, so it was understandable (in a sense) that she was missing some feathers on the back of her neck - she is very young and may have possibly been bullied.

Homebound! We have an flight cage for Brooke, while I've read it can house more - I'm only comfortable with a pair for this size. We set up Holly is a much smaller cage - basic cage with basic wooden perches - right next door so they can hear and see each other.

Then, it all goes bad... we noticed blood on Holly's wooden perches. I obviously freak out because this HAS to be my fault, the first day she came home there was no signs of blood, and I was cleaning and rearaging the room where the birds are kept so we assumed a cut on the foot, or stress from my actions. It seems to scab up but then the scab falls off and she begins to bleed again. She won't let me see but I can see her nibbling at her feet. So I went straight to the forums for help. I cannot catch her to apply flour to her feet - what else can I do? She is bouncing a lot, which I assumed it because the cage is so small. I removed the perches, they are semi-smooth but no splinters. She is eating and drinking just fine but leaning in attempt to stay off her foot.

While all this is happening, Brooke just keeps staring at Holly. Does she the think Holly is Le Pop? Did I buy a bird too soon? Now Brooke is starting to show signs of depression. Why? Is it because she has no one to cuddle with? She is a very, very social girl and Holly's injury is preventing the introduction.

The perches are better in the flight cage, with softer hideouts and more room to spread her wings - Holly would be happier in there and I honestly think Brooke would be happy to have her.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong. I don't know what to do. Seeing them so unhappy really breaks my heart. Please help me.

Thank you for listening.

Rocki_finch
Pip
Pip

Re: From death to introduction, my finches have a lot going

Post by Rocki_finch » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:50 am

Update: I'm sitting her watching these two when I noticed something. Brooke is over-grooming herself, I think. I've been watching her for 5 years and she never dug around in her butt feathers this much. Then I see Holly going after her butt feathers, belly, and neck. Am I over thinking this because I'm so worried? It just doesn't seem right...

I swapped out her (Holly) wooden perches with a smaller plastic - something that won't stick to the scab like wood.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:01 am

Rocki_finch

Welcome to the forum =D>

I think you already are sensing the cage you have the injured finch might be too small . You may have already answered that question. ;)

New finches are sometimes nervous and scared in a new place. :-SS Over preening can be stress, or mites. I would treat both with Scatt especially this being a finch recently purchased so you can rule that out.

Having a nightlight so your new finch doesnt injure herself in the dark helps during the night.

What species of finch do you have? Since one in the cage was plucked in the store I am guessing zebra finch? If we know the species, members can better help you with the introduction of the two together.

Rocki_finch
Pip
Pip

Post by Rocki_finch » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:49 am

Babs, hello! Thank you for the welcome.

Of course I forget to mention their breed #-o, yes they are zebra finches. Brooke is all white, and Holly is grey - I hope to have pictures up soon.

They cage Holly is in what we planned on using it as a hospital cage. Should I have gotten something bigger for the introduction phase?

I purchased a bunch of new perches and toys, I read that moving things around and adding new items should reduce territorial stress. As soon as those come in, the cage is getting cleaned and reorganized. The less stress the better!

Update: The bleeding has stopped. She jumped in some flour, and sat on some tissues essentially putting her own pressure on her foot. Much happier today.

I will definitely purchase Scatt, thank you for recommendation! I've been luck to not have an issue with bird mites for the past (my mice had mites, we found some in their unopened bag of bedding) 5 years - knock on wood.

Temperament seems much better today, and I'm also less stressed now that the blood as stopped. Can they sense that from Me?

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:50 pm

Rocki_finch

I'm glad things are getting smoother. And yes your finches are sensitive to your stress and can pick up on it easily.

I'm also happy to hear your stress level has reduced and now you can begin to enjoy them while you observe. :D

The cage rearranging sounds like a great plan for a zebra introduction.