Antibiotics

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Antibiotics

Post by kyle » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi all,
About 9 months ago I ordered some antibiotics and probiotics from ladygouldianfinch.com. thinking that having them on hand would give me peace of mind. But I quickly discovered that having them on hand and using them are two different things. It is hard to know without being diagnosed by a veterinarian what antibiotic to give if any. A few months ago I lost two babies a few months apart. Droopy wings listlessness and diarrhea. Both cases were the same. Recently two more had the same symptoms. For two weeks I put up a heat lamp and was hoping for a turnaround. But they remain the same. because some of the symptoms where similar to what was described on the Amoxitex I thought I'd try hoping I wasn't wrong. It's been 3 days and I see things clearing up. The birds are holding their wings nice and tight and they're much more active. I will continue for the full dose of the antibiotic and then use probiotics.
I just wanted to share this in case anybody has similar symptoms with their finches and is concerned about administering Amoxitex. I feel I could have saved the other two birds that I lost. I think I was afraid that if I had used the medication and the birds died I would not have known if it was the illness or the medication that did them in. A unfortunately loss but at least I learned something from it. :)
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Antibiotics

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:19 pm

kyle

I'm glad your kids are pulling through! [-o< If you suspect it's bacterial, a nice preventative I use to keep their water sanitary is washing all water dishes out with white vinegar and hot water. When I refill their water I put in one drop of ACV to keep bacteria from forming throughout the day.

When I have 10 juvies in one flight they can foul the water up by the end of the day and this way the bacteria doesn't get a chance to get out of control if I am unable to change it in the middle of the day.

I've also noticed since washing their water dishes with white vinegar I have absolutely zero buildup on the sides or creases of the bowls. Vinegar has the strength of bleach when it comes to killing bacteria.

I hope this can help you lower the possibility of bacteria infections in the future. How's Blueberry doing?

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by kyle » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:24 pm

Babs
I use a AVC as well. Oddly enough it's only my blue juveniles from a split pair that I have any problems with.
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:13 pm

kyle

Hmmm. Genetics? I suppose pairing them off with another wont work. They will miss each other. Ugh.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Collidal silver would help with things like that perhaps? i use collidal silver for all infections and sicknesses and it works overnight.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds