Selling birds

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Selling birds

Post by Rob » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:51 pm

I sold a couple of canaries this weekend, who were in seemingly great health, but since arriving at their new home the male is showing signs of injury or stress, or something else that is giving the new owner cause for concern. I first heard about this one day after purchase, and will be doing an exchange tonight for another male.

I myself have purchased canaries that have gone south shortly after purched, but most others have reacted just fine. Is there anything I can do or should be doing to ensure a successful transfer, either when selling or purchasing birds? When I bought a couple of finches recently, the breeder gave me a small packet of vitamins to give them to help with stress, so I did the same. I also provided instructions on feeding eggs and vegetables.

Thanks

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Selling birds

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:24 pm

Hi, I'm not sure sorry but I'm sure others on here will be of more help! So far I just sell to our local pet store, so I haven't had that problem.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Rob » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:14 am

She returned him tonight, and took another male.

He wasn't moving, and when I picked him up he had almost no weight to him. She said he wasn't eating. I have him under a heat lamp now, and I put bird seed on the bottom of the cage where he is. Hopefully he survives the night. I read an article today that said if a bird starts rocking side to side (the first symptom reported) it's possible it had a stroke. It also said they can make a full recovery so I'm hoping he pulls through.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:36 am

Rob

Sorry to hear about this situation, I hope your boy recovers.

It is so hard to say what may have happened...

With the cold temperatures we've had, did the buyer keep the birds warm enough during the transfer from house to house? Was she feeding the same diet this bird was used to having?

I would listen to his chest, to see if the breathing sounds normal.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Rob » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:27 pm

lovezebs

It went from really bad to even worse.

She brought a blanket to cover the cage as I requested when she picked him up, and the other canary she took is doing just fine. From the sounds of it he didn't eat very much right from the beginning. They were picked up in the late afternoon, and that evening things were fine, he was his usual self and the next day he was acting weird and rocking side to side, not flying at all, and then not visibly eating (this is what was reported to me). Perhaps he was spooked in the night and crashed into something? By day two, when he was returned he clearly hadn't eaten anything, and he was curled up in a ball for a few hours under my care, and then he started having seizures and I knew there was very little hope at that point. There was food and water on the floor of the cage for him, but he wasn't able to do much and wouldn't take anything. He was gone not much longer. I don't know if it calcium defincieny, or a stroke, or what, but the stress of new surroundings surely didn't help.

I gave her another male to take home, who is doing well today so I'm confident it was a freak occurance, and wasn't indicative of my care of my birds. It will also be a reminder for me, when I get a new bird that goes south right away, that it isn't always the result of the previous owners care (we all want to blame something, but nature sometimes just happens).

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:00 pm

My guess, and it is a just a hunch, is that your bird was living with a disease but keeping that at bay when he lived with you. The move was enough to tip that in the wrong direction and he could no longer defend against the problem.

I've seen that situation with a pigeons that were brought to a bird show. They look great, they travel to the show, and suddenly the bird is ill.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Rob » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:19 pm

Yeah you could be right Dave. He never was a very good singing (it sounded very hollow and weak) but I figured it was just genetics.

There are so many unknown variables. In the future I may not sell/buy during the winter because they seem weaker in general, and wait until after breeding season.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:28 am

Sometimes the stress of a move will be enough to weaken the bird so that if there are any issues, they will arise. Taking birds to shows and marts also can be very stressful. I've had a few birds puff up at marts to the point that I decided to take them home rather than sell them. And as you said, sometimes we don't do anything wrong, nature just happens.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:52 am

Rob

I'm so sorry.

Poor little birdie...
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:19 am

Dave wrote: My guess, and it is a just a hunch, is that your bird was living with a disease but keeping that at bay when he lived with you. The move was enough to tip that in the wrong direction and he could no longer defend against the problem.

I've seen that situation with a pigeons that were brought to a bird show. They look great, they travel to the show, and suddenly the bird is ill.
This was my first thought as well, stress of being caught up, travel, new sights, sounds, environment, even a change in temperature (even if kept indoors) can stress a bird that is carrying illness. Birds are great at looking perfect when ill, that is just instinct.. they look well until they can no longer do so. Stroke (trauma), protozoa, giardia, yeast, bacteria can all bring a bird down eventually. Certain illness can cause a bird to go light fast.

Suggest when transferring a bird from home to home... provide them with a baggie of food the birds are use to eating, recommend a quiet room away from noise and other birds to rest and be quarantined in, also suggest a heat lamp to one side of the cage, it helps with stress.

if exchanging birds in the winter, have them warm the car first before setting the cage inside, it may help. we found with some flighty species the smaller the travel cage the better, cover it.... the smaller size prevents the birds from thrashing around too much like they would in a larger cage.

As far as giving vitamins, if a powder that can be added to soft food suggest it be added to soft foods such as boiled grated egg mixed with shredded carrots, something the bird is use to. Some birds may eat chopped veggies but not touch the same veggie in their new home if in whole form like a leaf of kale or romaine. if using pellets in with your seed the extra vitamin supplement can be given no more than once a week so you do not risk overdoing certain vitamins and minerals.

Found it helpful to maybe give a hand out printed up as to what you feed, where they can get it, light schedule (especially for canaries). Suggestions of how to help the bird adjust. Raised inside or outside. Owners like that too.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Rob » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Thanks cindy

Lots of useful information. I try to provide food, as well as some vitamins/probiotics, and an overview of what to feed, and then it's up to the new owner. I'll try smaller travel cages/containers next time.