Treatments, preventatives.....

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Christian
Nestling
Nestling

Treatments, preventatives.....

Post by Christian » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:22 pm

So far my 8 canaries are showing good health. Although my two boys need to go on a diet. I've put them in a bigger cage to get more excercise. They are not the strongest when it comes to flying. One hen is making clicking sounds, but otherwise in great health. Lots of room in the double flight cage. I've been using scatt. Aside from cleaning the cages regularly, fresh food/variety and always providing fresh water, and miltiple drinkers, any products you feel are a must. Any preventatives or do you feel most are more a waste of money. Again it's a personal choice I know. Just wondering if there is a consensus on products. Thanks.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Treatments, preventatives.....

Post by Sally » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:14 am

Christian You will hear many different opinions on medicines/supplements. I personally don't keep much in the way of medicines, because I'm not good at diagnosing illness, and if you don't know what you are doing, you can do more harm than good.

I do keep Scatt on hand for new birds and in case of mites, Avian Insect Liquidator for pests, NV powder for stress, wormer because I feed live food, liquid calcium in case of egg binding--I think that is about it. I have a general vitamin that I add to their egg food, but mostly I depend on a varied diet of seed, veggies, egg food, and live food to keep them healthy. I feel that a good diet does more for them than a lot of supplements.

There are a few supplements that can be helpful, like Feather Fast for molting, but you don't need every supplement out there, and you always have to be aware of what is in each one if you use multiple supplements, as it is easy to overdose in that case.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Treatments, preventatives.....

Post by cindy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:34 am

As far as supplemental vitamins and minerals powdered, if using a pelleted diet in with your seed you do not need to add a powdered supplement to the diets (so not to overdo certain vitamins and minerals, some if you overdo can have adverse effects)....if you feel they are not taking in enough of the pelleted diet then only use a powdered supplement in the soft foods once a week. (another good one is AviVita Gold by AviTech is very complete, it contains vitamins, minerals, amino acids...birds readily accept it in soft foods, veggie chops and even in dried and boiled grated egg food). Boiled grated egg by the way is a very very complete food.

note: vitamins supplements that go into the water, combined with food particles, saliva can grow bacteria, fungal 100 fold in just 24 hours. Some birds drink more or less than others and it can prove unreliable as to how much the birds are actually taking in.

It is advised if feeding live food you treat with an anti-parasitic quarterly besides deworming.... live food can carry parasites, bacteria. Ronivet 12% will cover parasites/protozoa. Keep your treatments simple like Sally said there is a lot out there that the birds do not need including food supplements....or is being over used. The list Sally mentioned is basically what I keep here plus a few things for injury, sudden illness and it is always good to have a heat lamp or two on hand.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only