Help! My cat hurt my bird!

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Help! My cat hurt my bird!

Post by wildbird » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:30 am

Infection does not always happen. I took a bird from a cats mouth a few years ago, and it never got infected. There was a wound from the cats teeth. I never did anything to it, and the bird recovered completely.

zebrafinch13
Pip
Pip

Post by zebrafinch13 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 am

She has food on the floor of her cage and water, I think she does now know where the water is. She walked through it. I have got her some probiotics to prevent infection, in case she does get infected. I'm glad that an infection isn't inevitable!

I separated her from her cage-mate. He is her son, and very annoying. Every time I went anywhere near the cage she wouldn't freak out, but he would. He then would decide that the safest place to be was where she was, and would fly into her, knocking her on to the floor and sit where she was sitting. So, I put him in my second birdcage, where she can still see him but not get pushed around by him.

I guess that my cat's paws could have fit through the cage. But the cage is on a bookshelf, and it would have been a very awkward angle for him to reach.

It has been 53 hours since she was attacked.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:39 pm

I would suggest putting mesh around the bottom half of cage so that the cat can’t ever get the birds in the future you can also keep a paper clip on the doors so that it can’t ipen them as I know dogs can open these just by licking them haha

Also you could move the perches away from the edges

Hope ur little soldier keeps going strong
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:47 pm

wildbird wrote: Infection does not always happen. I took a bird from a cats mouth a few years ago, and it never got infected. There was a wound from the cats teeth. I never did anything to it, and the bird recovered completely.
Same here although not sure if the bird was really wounded... She was fine though.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

zebrafinch13
Pip
Pip

Post by zebrafinch13 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:30 am

She is defiantly looking better and has had no signs of infection so far. :)

its been six days since she was injured

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:42 am

zebrafinch13

So glad to hear that, =D> .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:26 pm

zebrafinch13 That is good news. I would think she would be showing signs of illness by now if she had gotten an infection. She was lucky.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

zebrafinch13
Pip
Pip

Post by zebrafinch13 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:35 pm

indeed, she's recovering nicely and I'm planning on reuniting her with her son tomorrow if she looks active enough to deal with his exuberance since she really seems to miss him.

its been a week since she was injured.

and the cat has been locked out with a latch on the door that I lock when I leave the room so he shouldn't ever bother Brownie again.

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:47 pm

this happened to me once, I now use bread twisty ties as extra protection to hold cage doors closed. Also, although your bird maybe scared of u treating the wounds, it can literally save her life. Good luck to u, I hope your bird recovers.

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:46 am

Glad she is recovering. If most of the pain is gone and she is flying around her quarantine cage a bit, then she will probably be fine to go in with her son. If she is still just sitting still/ just hopping around enough to get to food and water, though, I would let her heal up a bit more, because it sounds like her son likes to run into her, and than could cause her a lot of pain.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny