Zebra Finch Toe Got Suck On Cage

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
OhNayeli
Mature
Mature

Zebra Finch Toe Got Suck On Cage

Post by OhNayeli » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:56 am

Hello everyone i went to go cover my birds cages nd noticed my finch leg was hanging he was at the side of the cage and one of his toes was stuck inbetween to bars in the cage and his whole body was hanging i grabbed him he was asleep and his toe looked like a pale color we opened the bars took him out but now his leg looks bad there was also blood i will insert some pictures and hope somebody can help me as to wat i can do i alredy separated him he is around 3 months old his leg is jst sticking out to the side and he is at the bottom of the cage.
Attachments
20180124_220503.jpg
20180124_214711.jpg
20180124_215107.jpg
20180124_215317.jpg

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Zebra Finch Toe Got Suck On Cage

Post by Sally » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:23 am

Since he is young, he has a good chance of recovery. One thing I would add to do for him is give him a little heat. You can point a heat lamp at one end of the cage, making sure he can get away from the heat if he wants. A heat lamp can be a simple as a gooseneck desk lap with a 60w bulb.

Since you said there was blood, did you check for any injury?

I once found a bird hanging upside-down, and his leg was sticking straight out behind him when I freed him. The next day it was still a bit out of line, but by the following day, it had returned to normal and never another problem with it.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

OhNayeli
Mature
Mature

Post by OhNayeli » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:59 am

Sally wrote: Since he is young, he has a good chance of recovery. One thing I would add to do for him is give him a little heat. You can point a heat lamp at one end of the cage, making sure he can get away from the heat if he wants. A heat lamp can be a simple as a gooseneck desk lap with a 60w bulb.

Since you said there was blood, did you check for any injury?

I once found a bird hanging upside-down, and his leg was sticking straight out behind him when I freed him. The next day it was still a bit out of line, but by the following day, it had returned to normal and never another problem with it.
Thank you so much for answering i was very worried. I took him to my room and have the heater on, the temperature is around 75 to 80° would that be enough or would u still recomend a lamp??

Yes i did when i took him out he was no longer bleeding but there was dried blood on his toe and on a perch close to were he was his toe looks alittle bit swollen and i think since be was probably trying to free himself the bars cut into his skin. But he does seem to be putting weight on that leg.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:34 am

OhNayeli

I had a similar experience, read this thread....

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34578

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:57 pm

OhNayeli my grandmas finch got a toe stuck in one of the bamboo nests and it looked similar to this I kept crumbling iodine block into the food and puttting a small very small amount into there water hope he’s okay he doesn’t look frightened on the photos

Also I noticed the food pot is abit up if you place it on the floor in a smaller dish it might be less strain on his leg
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

OhNayeli
Mature
Mature

Post by OhNayeli » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:35 pm

lovezebs wrote: OhNayeli

I had a similar experience, read this thread....

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34578

Good luck.
Thank You And how is Max doing??

OhNayeli
Mature
Mature

Post by OhNayeli » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:47 pm

Fraza wrote: OhNayeli my grandmas finch got a toe stuck in one of the bamboo nests and it looked similar to this I kept crumbling iodine block into the food and puttting a small very small amount into there water hope he’s okay he doesn’t look frightened on the photos

Also I noticed the food pot is abit up if you place it on the floor in a smaller dish it might be less strain on his leg
Thank you for replying, and i know he was calm even while hanging in the cage he was asleep and didnt move at all while i took him out.

And yess it was too high but when i took him out i just told my mom to grab a food bowl so that i could place him on the food bowl and onto a smaller cage. But after i calmed down i removed that bowl and added a container that is shorter and more spacious.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:18 pm

OhNayeli

Max, is doing very well, thank you.

I hope your little fella recovers.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

OhNayeli
Mature
Mature

Post by OhNayeli » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:06 pm

lovezebs wrote: OhNayeli

Max, is doing very well, thank you.

I hope your little fella recovers.
Im glad he is birds, seem to adjust quite fast i have a finch with no toes in one leg and only one toe on the other and he acts as if he was normal.

And thank you i hope so too today he spent most of the day on a branch i put on the cage acting like nothing ever happened.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:04 pm

OhNayeli I think he will be fine I would only worry if it was a head injury or something they can survive with a leg missin g so he shud be okay without a toe

By the way your welcome
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

OhNayeli
Mature
Mature

Post by OhNayeli » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:29 pm

Fraza wrote: OhNayeli I think he will be fine I would only worry if it was a head injury or something they can survive with a leg missin g so he shud be okay without a toe

By the way your welcome
Oh ok, and yea he seems to be fine now at first his leg was sticking out to the side and i tought maybe he dislocated it or broke a bone. I hope this never happens again.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:55 pm

OhNayeli yeh it would scare me too I got scared when a finch got her wing stuck in the cage bars and I couldn’t grab her because she started biting my hands and kicking her feet so I had to cover her with a cloth and slowly move her wing out anyway it did absolute nothing to her wing she was the same I got lucky, but I was so scared so can’t imagne how your feeling :)
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

OhNayeli
Mature
Mature

Post by OhNayeli » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:04 am

Fraza wrote: OhNayeli yeh it would scare me too I got scared when a finch got her wing stuck in the cage bars and I couldn’t grab her because she started biting my hands and kicking her feet so I had to cover her with a cloth and slowly move her wing out anyway it did absolute nothing to her wing she was the same I got lucky, but I was so scared so can’t imagne how your feeling :)

That happened to me before i have a finch that cant fly very well and sometimes gets scared and falls on her back one day both of wings got stuck at the bottom of the cage she was able to free herself and now i line the bottom of the cage so that when she falls she can turn around easier.

When things like this happen i panick then i help them out and later wonder if they will recover than a few days later they act like nothing happened. It makes me think i was probably overreacting lol

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:04 am

OhNayeli same here lol my worst was my first time catching one in the aviary with a net and it dropped flat into the net and I was like I’ve killed it boo I tuned the net upside down and it flew and I was tlike thank god hahaha
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fernando
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Fernando » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:02 am

If you haven't already done it - change the part of the cage where your finch got stuck! And change every similar part, too, in order to prevent it to happen again.

And no, the bird was not sleeping. Birds get rigid when they hang upside down or lay on their back.

Young birds often are very resilient, so, it will probably recover soon. Fingers crossed.