Dried dead fingers

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
GoldPanther
Hatchling
Hatchling

Dried dead fingers

Post by GoldPanther » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Hello forum.

Yesterday when I was feeding my birds I thought about looking at the one baby that hatched about two weeks ago and it was dead . It seems like the parents abandoned the baby since I hadn't see them in the nest since the morning. I pulled the dead baby out of the nest and it was like flat on like if the parents thought about dancing on top of it, it had very few seeds on his sack so I don't think it died of hunger but of cold.
I have noticed that the parents have been fighting for the last few days which is very uncommon.
So I separated them in different cages for the mean time, and while I move them out of the cage in the next morning (today) I noticed that the father has two dried dead fingers . Wth? Does anyone know what kind of condition is this?
Also know that I remember the dead baby had dried feet but I'm wondering if they dried because he was somehow infected or because it was dead for the last two days.
Cage is always clean, there's always food and clean water, I often give them treats like lettus and greens.

If anyone knows anything about this condition please hit me up in the comments. tia
Attachments
20180227_154454.jpg
Danny,

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Dried dead fingers

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:20 pm

Sorry to hear your baby finch died. I had no idea Zebs could get dried toes but I hope you can fine a cure. How long has your zeb had toes like this? lovezebs may know what this is.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

GoldPanther
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by GoldPanther » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks,

Noticed it this morning or at least yesterday they weren't like that.
Danny,

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:13 pm

Looks like some thread has tangled on his toes, cutting off circulation.
The issue usually resolves without long-lasting harm, the dead tissue falls off quickly.

Don't provide nesting material that can get stuck on their toes. This includes commercially available nesting string sold in pet shops.
~Dylan

~~~

GoldPanther
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by GoldPanther » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:52 pm

^ thanks for your input.

As of today the dryness on the toes hasn't grow so I'm assuming that on all the fighting the bird entrapped his toes somewhere. He's doing fine.

Thanks everyone!
Danny,

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:38 pm

The baby's feet probably looked like that because it had been dead for a couple of days. It's hard to tell from the photo, but looks like your adult injured the toes (either a string wrapped around it as Dylan suggested or maybe he caught his toes in something else) and they've died off. If so, they'll eventually fall off. It looks like there may even be scar tissue already forming at the base?
Hilary