Air in crops

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Air in crops

Post by MariusStegmann » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:40 am

I have a lot of chicks with crops that are quite full with air. I don't know if it is just the heat or thrush. I have treated with Nyastan, and also put apple vinegar in the water. Should I be concerned?
Marius

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Air in crops

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:04 am

MariusStegmann

Marius, you know I have hand-fed TONS of kiddos successfully. Air in the crop is mostly a result of how insistent the chicks are while begging. And it will occur the exact same way in parent raised chicks.

Like a super hungry toddler screaming and sucking down the bottle too fast and gets gas bubbles. It means they are too hungry and thirsty at the time of feeding and they suck in air as a result.

I'd pile on much more food and water so the kids are satiated and aren't so demanding as to create the air bubbles.

Air bubbles wont hurt them. Loads of food and water for the parents will help prevent them.

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Air in crops

Post by MariusStegmann » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:28 am

Babs Thanks Babs. I have another problem. I have gouldian chicks in a parrotfinch nest. One of the chicks got bitten by something when it was only a few days old. This has caused an unsightly growth to grow on the chick's upper mandible. I am just going to leave it and see what will happen when it get older.
Marius