Help! Female zebra finch puffed up feather blood

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
ywqjennifer
Pip
Pip

Help! Female zebra finch puffed up feather blood

Post by ywqjennifer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi

I hope I could figure out what is going on with my finch.She laid one egg at the bottom of the cage several weeks ago and no more eggs. I immediately removed the egg from the cage. Since then she was not looking well, not active,but still eating and drinking
. I initially thought she could be eggbounded, but a few weeks have past. She is still doing the same thing, puffed up, sleep a lot during the day, I could see her skin around neck area when she turns her neck. Yesterday I found blood on her feather. See the picture. I really don't know how to help her. She seems in pain. I don't want her to suffer. What could be the problem that makes her sick for weeks? Could it be mites? I have S 76 on hand and put it in the water for two days. I also offered her hard boiled egg, home made Electrolytes. Her poop looks Ok, a bit constipation may be because the spray millet which she loves.
Attachments
IMG_0544.JPG

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Help! Female zebra finch puffed up feather blood

Post by Fraza » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:50 pm

I’m saying egg bound and I wouldn’t get her in a recovery cage a simple set up of only the front made of metal caging the walls and back wood or flat surface then keep a heat lamp on the front with plenty of food and water and make sure there is iodine crumbled into the seeds
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Ohh that's horrible... I think my hen had something like that too.... I had to put her down because she was suffering...
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

ywqjennifer
Pip
Pip

Post by ywqjennifer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:15 pm

Flight Feathers she is not like this all the time. She is still eating and drinking, How did you put your hen down? I may have to do this one day if I feel she is suffering a lot. :(

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:56 pm

I had a female that was unwell for at least 10 days, then passed a soft shelled egg. She was fine after that. The vet told me if it ever happens again, give her calcium. I would give her Calcionate Syrup, a calcium supplement bought at CVS drug store. It was two drops mixed with a 30 cc of water that I put on her soft food, like a piece of bread, that she would eat. If you have liquid calcium for birds, you could use that. If your bird won't eat it on anything, Try putting a drop of it along the side of the beak so that the bird will lick some of it. If your bird would eat it on soft food, that would be good. Provide a heat lamp on one side of cage, but be sure she can move away to a cooler area, if it gets too warm for her. Provide crushed or shredded hard boiled egg and finely crushed egg shell, also millet. Set a dish of water near the heat for humidity. There was a discussion with directions for egg binding on 9/30/15 General, Topic: Eggbound Canary. You can look back at that information, and it may help you. I would not be giving any medications, unless you know for sure what is wrong. All drugs have side effects. Don't give up, your bird can still recover.

ywqjennifer
Pip
Pip

Post by ywqjennifer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:44 pm

wildbird thanks for your response. i am in Canada and can't find any petstore that sell liquid calcium for bird. Could I use the calcium for human?

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:15 pm

ywqjennifer wrote: Flight Feathers she is not like this all the time. She is still eating and drinking, How did you put your hen down? I may have to do this one day if I feel she is suffering a lot. :(
Well my zeb had something wrong with her for about a year and then it just got worse and worse to the point that she couldn't get off the ground. Poor thing. I didn't actually put her down, my friend did. I held her and my friend just knocked her out on her head and she died instantly.

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Flight Feathers wrote:
ywqjennifer wrote: Flight Feathers she is not like this all the time. She is still eating and drinking, How did you put your hen down? I may have to do this one day if I feel she is suffering a lot. :(
Well my zeb had something wrong with her for about a year and then it just got worse and worse to the point that she couldn't get off the ground. Poor thing. I didn't actually put her down, my friend did. I held her and my friend just knocked her out on her head and she died instantly.
I hope you don't have to put your zeb down :( I only put my zeb down because she had something wrong with her for about year and it was only getting worse and it was awful seeing her in so much pain.

ywqjennifer
Pip
Pip

Post by ywqjennifer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:23 pm

Flight Feathers i am sorry about your bird. I am getting human liquid calcium tomorrow as an emergency treatment, hopefully could help her. I don't want to put her down, it will break my heart. :(

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:14 am

ywqjennifer, Yes, you can use human calcium. The one I used was Calcionate Syrup that I bought from a drug store. Where was the feather with blood on it found? There's a difference between pain and not feeling well. If your bird was in a lot of pain, she would have died weeks ago. It is not for us to decide when another''s life should be ended.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:12 am

ywqjennifer don’t put her down if she’s still fighting she’s up on. A perch if she was flat out on the bottom not eating nor drinking then maybe consider but she’s still fighting so help her

I hope she recovers she might just be ilL as wildbird said
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:01 am

If you haven't already set one up, a single clamp light (like you'd use in a shop) set up to warm a favorite perch can do wonders for a bird that isn't feeling well.
Hilary

ywqjennifer
Pip
Pip

Post by ywqjennifer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:53 am

She is still alive but not doing any better. I just grabbed her and felt her abdomen. It seems like there is a very little bump at her right abodomen. See the photo, is this a tumour or egg? I can't feel any egg close to the vent.
Attachments
IMG_0572.JPG

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:14 pm

ywqjennifer I’m unsure the only thing I can say is that if she was egg bound I doubt she would have survived this long but I have never had a finch with a tumour so I don’t know I hope u find some help
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:29 pm

Her vent looks like it has droppings stuck to it. Maybe try to get that off gently with warm water. Does she have diarrhea?