Tumor on zeb

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Tumor on zeb

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:00 am

So it appears that one of my 9 wk old baby Zebs has a tumor on its bottom. What would have caused this and how can I prevent it for next time? Is there any cure for tumors and will it still be able to breed? Thanks.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Tumor on zeb

Post by Fraza » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:44 pm

Is there a pic of it I don’t know what to do but would like to see what they look like so I can spot it if it ever happens to me
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:03 pm

Fraza wrote: Is there a pic of it I don’t know what to do but would like to see what they look like so I can spot it if it ever happens to me
It looks a bit like egg binding (so a lump where the egg is) only the finch is a male and he does not act egg bound in anyway.

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:06 pm

Flight Feathers Ohright okay I’ll make sure I never buy a bird with this then and I hope ur guy gets better soon
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:25 pm

Flight Feathers

I had to put down a bird recently with a tumor. All of his brothers are healthy, he was the only one with this problem. There's not much you can do about tumors, except keep an eye on them. If they get big enough they will make it difficult to fly and they will be painful. Good luck, I hope it stays small.
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:59 pm

Flight Feathers

Is there a chance that it could be a hernia? I'm not too familiar with growths on birds, but a tumor on a young one seems rather strange. Here's an article discussing lumps on birds: Abdominal Distention. It talks about a different part of the body, but may still be useful.

I would not recommend breeding this bird. There's a good chance that this is just bad luck, but it's also possible that the bird has some sort of genetic weakness.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:31 am

ann wrote: Flight Feathers

I had to put down a bird recently with a tumor. All of his brothers are healthy, he was the only one with this problem. There's not much you can do about tumors, except keep an eye on them. If they get big enough they will make it difficult to fly and they will be painful. Good luck, I hope it stays small.
If he ends up unable to fly or if the tumor gets quite big then I will just put him down. Sorry to hear you had to put down one of your birds. :(

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:34 am

Icearstorm wrote: Flight Feathers

Is there a chance that it could be a hernia? I'm not too familiar with growths on birds, but a tumor on a young one seems rather strange. Here's an article discussing lumps on birds: Abdominal Distention. It talks about a different part of the body, but may still be useful.

I would not recommend breeding this bird. There's a good chance that this is just bad luck, but it's also possible that the bird has some sort of genetic weakness.
Hi, I'm not too sure but all I know is it's a lump of some sort and that he stopped singing once it started coming on. I also don't think he will be able to mate because of where the lump is located.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:07 am

Flight Feathers if he can’t breed and that’s what you need him for wait until the lump has gone down and find a good home for him with someone and let them know that he can’t breed usually someone like my grandparents would have it because they are old and they don’t have time for breeding but would have one by itself with lots of food and then it would be happy

I hope it doesn’t get too big
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:11 pm

You are right, it's actually a hernia, not a tumor. And it's definitely a male zeb. Are hernias very painful and do they get bigger?

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:12 pm

Fraza wrote: Flight Feathers if he can’t breed and that’s what you need him for wait until the lump has gone down and find a good home for him with someone and let them know that he can’t breed usually someone like my grandparents would have it because they are old and they don’t have time for breeding but would have one by itself with lots of food and then it would be happy

I hope it doesn’t get too big
Thanks, I think I might keep him with his retired father and that way they can keep each other company. If it doesn't work out then I'll look into finding someone who would like a male zeb that can't breed.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:21 pm

Flight Feathers yeh because I would be in the same position I couldn’t have one that couldn’t breed because it would distrupt my breeding pairs and I wouldn’t have enough cage space so I would give it my grandparents I hope it does work out thought
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:40 pm

Flight Feathers

Yes, they can be quite painful. The fact that he has stopped singing indicates that he is in pain. If at all possible, get him to a vet. They should be able to get him painkillers and fix the herniated area back into position.

Hernias can increase in size, and large ones usually will not recover on their own. There is also a risk that the herniated area could have reduced blood flow, leading to tissue death. The location of your bird's lump would indicate that the intestines are involved, so keep a close eye on your bird's droppings to make sure that he is pooping regularly.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:15 pm

Fraza wrote: Flight Feathers yeh because I would be in the same position I couldn’t have one that couldn’t breed because it would distrupt my breeding pairs and I wouldn’t have enough cage space so I would give it my grandparents I hope it does work out thought
Yes I’m considering giving him away at this stage although I probably do have enough cages... more the fact that he may get into a fight with a Mouse again or something like that.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:17 pm

Yes, they can be quite painful. The fact that he has stopped singing indicates that he is in pain. If at all possible, get him to a vet. They should be able to get him painkillers and fix the herniated area back into position.

Hernias can increase in size, and large ones usually will not recover on their own. There is also a risk that the herniated area could have reduced blood flow, leading to tissue death. The location of your bird's lump would indicate that the intestines are involved, so keep a close eye on your bird's droppings to make sure that he is pooping regularly.
Oh that’s horrible!! My poor birdie. He still beeps lots and flies around and acts completely fine. I’m thinking he just doesn’t sing because there’s no girlies to sing too. As for taking it to the vet- apparently the vets here wouldn’t be able to do anything about a tumor or hernia on a bird. Should I put my bird down? Is it unfair to keep him alive? Or would it be fine to give him away?