Blood feather? HELP

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
animalobsessed
Hatchling
Hatchling

Blood feather? HELP

Post by animalobsessed » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:04 pm

My white zebra hen has little red "dots" on her head. There is no bleeding, it is more of a dark pink color. She is pretty active and chirps a little. The breeder i got her from, sent her through his mom :/ so she rough handled him. She is my newest pet, i got her yesterday and i hope she is ok. It dosent look like its bothering her. Are they blood feathers? Sometimes when she flies, some of her feathers fall off, my other finches' never does that (i havent seen him molt yet) is my new hen simply molting? Her "tail" feathers also dont look as slick as her mate. Its not straight it is "ridged". She has no red spots anywhere else but her head.. Please answer!
Chloe - 2 year old chihuahua
Banana - 1 year old crested gecko
Penelope - zebra finch (age unknown, likely around 1)
Zane - zebra finch (age unknown, likely around 1)
Takisumi - juvenile double tail betta fish
Alex - 2 year old veilltail betta fish
la negra - adult guppy fish

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Blood feather? HELP

Post by Sheather » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:34 pm

Molting, blood feathers on the head are normal and will grow in and fluff up in a few days. Sounds like your bird is very young. It's normal. At this age some birds end up looking like pin cushions, their faces more blood feathers than mature feathers for a while. it's probably itchy, but normal.
~Dylan

~~~

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Blood feather? HELP

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:43 pm

Do you have a pic? If she’s acting fine and it’s not much blood then I assume she will be fine. One of my Zebs has survived some pretty nasty wounds but he is still doing fine!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds