Molting question

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
TCLA3451
Pip
Pip

Molting question

Post by TCLA3451 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:38 pm

We recently (December) got our first pair of Gouldian Finches. They've seemed to adjusted well and enjoy flying around and preening. Our male loves to sing.
As a new Gouldian parent I was wondering when the molt usually starts, and if there is anything special I need to provide for them besides high protein diet. What is the best diet for molting period. My Gouldians are picky eaters (they seem like the dry egg flake if that would be sufficient). Any advice or info on the molting period would be much appreciated.
Thanks in Advance!

T

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: Molting question

Post by paul-inAZ » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Gouldians can be capricious molters.
While around now, in spring, is a classic time they may do it at almost any other time of year. Mine have sometimes gone into a severe molt or sometimes done it gradually. I don't know why.
I give mine commercial dry egg food and offer greens but for whatever reason mine mostly stick to seeds and egg food.
A site with useful comments:
http://www.mfgouldianfinches.com/your-b ... -molt.html

TCLA3451
Pip
Pip

Post by TCLA3451 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:23 pm

So now my Gouldians have been molting for one month. Since this is my first molt experience I have some questions I hope some one can help answer.
Is it long for them to be molting for almost over a month? They seem a bit down, the both rarely chirp or fly around anymore, just sit around all day. Is this normal? They both stand on one leg at times, do molting birds usually do this? Our males beak is scissoring, can we catch him and trim it of will this stress him out too much in his molt?
Thanks for any advice.

T :YMPEACE:

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:01 pm

Most Goulds seem to molt slowly, but occasional you get one that molts very rapidly - its almost scary how awful they look. Molting seems to be pretty hard on them either way.

I feed sprouted seed, veggies, perle morbide and dried egg food every day.

https://glamgouldians.com/product-nfb-prima.php I mix this about once a week with my sprouted seed. It is VERY good stuff.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens