A Little Help on Illnesses of the Eyes?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
LesLu13
Pip
Pip

A Little Help on Illnesses of the Eyes?

Post by LesLu13 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:25 pm

Hello finch friends,

As I've just posted in my most recent thread, my Lulu (age 4.5 yrs) is once again on her own, as her cagemate passed away.

I noticed this morning while tidying Lulu's cage that her right eye seems to be really irritated. I know it could be a number of things -- blepharitis, conjunctivitis, etc. -- but I wanted some input from someone who's been through this (since as we know I tend to freak out and panic very easily and don't have the patience to search for a pre-existing thread that may help).

Anyway, the top of Lulu's eye looks red and swollen. She honestly looks kind of like a pigeon. Also, the way the light is reflecting off her eye itself looks unusual -- like she has mucus in her eye.

Lulu hasn't been rubbing at her eye or anything, but I did have to put her into a different environment very recently where a lot of cleaning had just been done (dusting, scrubbing/vacuuming carpet) so I wouldn't at all be surprised if this is caused by debris finding its way into her eye, although its appearance still troubles me. And I have been as careful as I can to keep the dust and whatnot away from her.

She seems ok in all other respects -- eating and drinking ok, vocal, etc. so I'm hoping this is something that isn't or won't end up going systemic. And that I caught it just in time. Of course, though, today's Sunday so she's out of luck until tomorrow if she requires immediate help. No pet stores in the area carry avian antibiotics in any form.

If my computer weren't so fussy and would actually permit me to post pics, I'd do so. But like I said, it's primarily swelling/redness of the upper eyelid and an appearance that suggests the presence of mucus in the eye. If you have any advice, I will very gladly take it. Thanks so much :)
Lulu: b. summer 2013
Lesley (Lulu's sister): summer 2013 - Oct-29-17 (suspected cardiac and/or respiratory abnormality)
Peggie: [Nov '16-Feb '17] - Mar-9-18 (peritonitis/septicemia resulting from eggbinding)
I miss my sweet babies </3

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: A Little Help on Illnesses of the Eyes?

Post by Flight Feathers » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:21 pm

How is she doing? I use collidal silver spray for eye infections and illness, works every time! I know lots of other bird enthusiasts use it too. It’s becoming increasingly popular.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds