IS this leg infected :(

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: IS this leg infected :(

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:52 pm

Flight Feathers Fraza

Just because a bird has a bad leg, there is no need to kill it. Birds can live a happy life with only one leg. A damaged leg or toe that dies and turns black, can be amputated and the bird goes on just fine.

Do you guys remember my little Zebra Max? One leg, one wing, and still going strong with his little bride.
20160317_165458-1.jpg
http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34578

Other injured, sick, or attacked birds, given a chance and proper treatment can recover and go on to live good lives...
Attachments
1444777056374_1.jpg
20170904_123757.jpg
20151013_154410.jpg
20151015_162106.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:01 pm

lovezebs well th is to you elana his foot is almost hanging off so it is close to coming off and he’s learn to perch on the rope and small perches his angle has turned into a little stump like a PIRATE ey ey
Lol

And what nice birds you have and it’s amzing you gave them a second chance
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:15 pm

Fraza

Just wanted to show Flight Feathers and you, that birds can recover from many things. Where there is life, there is hope.

If his leg is just hanging by a thread, then hopefully it will fall off by itself. Just watch that it doesn't catch on something, leaving him hanging .

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:47 pm

Flight Feathers

Do you know how to humanely put down a bird? I'd love to know if anyone has a way. I've had birds suffer terribly but live so far from a vet that I could never get there in time for the vet to do it.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:25 pm

lovezebs wrote: Flight Feathers Fraza

Just because a bird has a bad leg, there is no need to kill it. Birds can live a happy life with only one leg. A damaged leg or toe that dies and turns black, can be amputated and the bird goes on just fine.

Do you guys remember my little Zebra Max? One leg, one wing, and still going strong with his little bride.
20160317_165458-1.jpg
http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34578

Other injured, sick, or attacked birds, given a chance and proper treatment can recover and go on to live good lives...
I definitely agree. It really depends on the birds situation as to whether or not it should be put down. I hate putting down birds, and do everything I can to save them. Even when it came to a bird with a broken neck...
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:27 pm

wilkifam wrote: Flight Feathers

Do you know how to humanely put down a bird? I'd love to know if anyone has a way. I've had birds suffer terribly but live so far from a vet that I could never get there in time for the vet to do it.
I hate seeing birds die a slow death over a few days too. My friend actually put my bird down for me as no way I could do it myself! She just used a small piece of wood and walked it on their head/neck really quick and it kills them instantly. (although the nerves do spasm)

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:56 pm

Sorry, I think there was a slight misunderstanding. I hate birds getting put down too and only like them to get put down if they are slowly dying over several days. Because its horrible when people just leave their animals to die slow and painful deaths. :( I've had a bird die slowly from a broken neck over 3 days... And obviously don't put a bird down as soon as it gets one thing wrong with it! Only if its slowly dying from it. There is always hope where there is life but its horrible watching a bird die from eternal bleeding etc :( It's amazing your finch survived Elana, as I have had a finch die simply from loosing two toes :(

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:53 am

lovezebs Yh Ano I think you know me anyway when I have had I’ll birds I’ve never even taken them to the vets I’ve always got them better myself plus I wouldn’t ever take one to the vets to be put down anyway I always think if they are willing to fight for life then to help them fight not end it quicker

But I do agree with flight feathers that if you can afford to put it down if it’s really I’ll and dying then it’s your deciosion but I personally wouldn’t
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:54 am

lovezebs and Yh that’s what am causous of weather it’s going to catch somet but it could only be mesh and he’s learnt to use the perches now so hopefully he won’t
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:55 am

wilkifam we have vets near us but I don’t think they would do it for birds so neither could I lol but my birds are all healthy anyway and don’t need to be put down
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:36 pm

~Elana~

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:05 pm

Fraza wrote: lovezebs Yh Ano I think you know me anyway when I have had I’ll birds I’ve never even taken them to the vets I’ve always got them better myself plus I wouldn’t ever take one to the vets to be put down anyway I always think if they are willing to fight for life then to help them fight not end it quicker

But I do agree with flight feathers that if you can afford to put it down if it’s really I’ll and dying then it’s your deciosion but I personally wouldn’t
I never use to be able to do it until my friend did it for me once. I found it to heart breaking to end a birds life. (And I still do too) But I’ve gotten to the point where if it’s going to die a slow painful death then it may as well die quickly. It makes me feel sick watching them slowly die, lying on the cage floor.