Treating Air Sac Mites

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
TCLA3451
Pip
Pip

Treating Air Sac Mites

Post by TCLA3451 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:55 pm

I have a few questions regarding treating gouldians for air sac mites.
My gouldians came down with symptoms of air sac mites.. to the point where they didn't make a sound all day, little clicking noises, and opening their mouths a lot.
We ordered iverlux (ivermectin 0.8 ) and have been dropping on the back of their necks every day for 5 days. It seems to be helping because they are now tweeting and singing in the morning. But still make clicking noises a little bit and still pretty quiet. How long usually until the symptoms clear up?
We are now taking 2 days off as directed, but after the two days do we need to again put the iverlux on their necks (once a day for five days) or can we just add to water for the rest of the treatment. The birds get stressed when we have to catch them so would rather put it in the water from here on out, but if it still needs to be applied direct then we will.
Also our male had a red patch on his skin where we were treating him. Should we stop the treatment on his neck, another reason I would rather just add to water until the end of treatment.
Any tips and advice is much appreciated. Thanks

T :YMPEACE:

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Treating Air Sac Mites

Post by Flight Feathers » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:49 am

Sorry I don’t know how you would treat it but I didn’t realise clicking was a sign of air sac mites. I’ve seen a few baby Zebs that made constant clicking noises. Does this mean that had air sac mites? Is it contagious?
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Treating Air Sac Mites

Post by canary3000 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:38 pm

Flight Feathers wrote: Sorry I don’t know how you would treat it but I didn’t realise clicking was a sign of air sac mites. I’ve seen a few baby Zebs that made constant clicking noises. Does this mean that had air sac mites? Is it contagious?
One of my canary hens clicks a lot. I do give her scatt. The clicking has not transferred to her chicks which are now a year old.