Injured foot now inflamed

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Injured foot now inflamed

Post by Rob » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:53 pm

About a month ago I noticed that one of my canary hens had a sore foot after being with a very agressive male, who was all too eager to mate. Everything looked fine other than she wouldn't put pressure on it. I removed the male so she could have some peace. A couple of weeks later I noticed some blood coming from her middle toe, which was concerning, but at least she was using the foot again. I gave it a rinse and it seemed controlled, and didn't think anything else needed to be done. Then a week later or so the toe turned black. Not soon after a discovered mites in the bird room and have been focused on cleaning all of the cages and treating the birds. Yesterday though, I noticed her foot had started to become inflamed, and today it's a giant bubble. I don't know if it's from the mites or not, but I want to get her fixed up asap because it looks extremely painful.

Obviously I didn't act soon enough (and I feel really bad that her foot got to this condition), but not sure how to proceed at this point. I soaked it in water with epsom salt, and then hydrogen peroxide, and will continue to do this. And she's been treated with scatt to kill any mites. I can't believe how quickly it's swelled up. In the second picture you can see the black/dark toe tucked under the side one.
20180418_173359.jpg
20180418_172922.jpg

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Re: Injured foot now inflamed

Post by andiok » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:11 pm

Rob thats an infection.
treat with ointment antibiotics
walmat has polisporin which is a triple antibiotic creme.
bird should be fine in about a week or less
here is the product
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/polysporin ... 0016940238

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: Injured foot now inflamed

Post by Rob » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:56 pm

andiok thanks!