My finch has lost its back toe, HELP!

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
zebrafinch13
Pip
Pip

My finch has lost its back toe, HELP!

Post by zebrafinch13 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:03 pm

My zebra finch had gotten its toe stuck in some string that a toy was hanging on (now removed) but even though I removed as much as I could the toe is blackish brown and sideways. I fear that he has lost circulation and was wondering what to do if his toe does indeed fall off to make his life as comfortable as possible? also, could a finch survive the loss of a back toe and still have a good quality of life?

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: My finch has lost its back toe, HELP!

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Apparently finches can live perfectly fine lives with a missing toe. Is it bothering your finch? I’ve had a finch loose two toes and it died :( On the other hand I’ve had a canary with a toe hanging by a thread and the toe healed upside down! If your finch is still hopping and flying around like normal then that is a good sign. On her other hand if your finch can’t get off the ground... Is your finch in shock?
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:19 pm

zebrafinch13 well ive had one with a whole foot not working and slowly falling off and this is only a 5 week old fledgling and doing fine he will be fine honestly just make sure they’re is no infection and yes they do perfectly fine with a toe missing it doesn’t bother them abit after the tenderness has worn off
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Rob » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:33 pm

I'm treating one of my canaries right now who had a broken toe that turned black, and then got infected. Sometime between last night and this morning it fell off.

I'd recommend treating it to avoid infection, and then monitor for signs of pain. Back toe I imagine is more valued than one of the three front toes, but I have a canary where the back toe doesn't seem to bend at all (basically useless) and she seems to manage just fine.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:21 pm

Rob wrote: I'm treating one of my canaries right now who had a broken toe that turned black, and then got infected. Sometime between last night and this morning it fell off.

I'd recommend treating it to avoid infection, and then monitor for signs of pain. Back toe I imagine is more valued than one of the three front toes, but I have a canary where the back toe doesn't seem to bend at all (basically useless) and she seems to manage just fine.
Yeah my canary had her back toe hanging by a thread. I thought it would fall off but it didn’t! I hope the claw doesn’t grow back tho otherwise it’ll grow back upside down!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:29 pm

I had a Society finch get his foot caught in bamboo nest. Over time two toes turned black and fell off. Didn't seem to bother him at all. Although he couldn't grasp a perch with that foot, he used it for balance and even continued to do an impressive mating dance. He helped his mate raise many more clutches.

zebrafinch13
Pip
Pip

Post by zebrafinch13 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:23 pm

Feather has been spending most of his time in his nest, its a plastic orange food dish. so he shouldn't be able to injure himself further and he doesn't appear to be in shock but is defiantly finding his foot painful. I've also treated the toe with Hydrogen Peroxide so it (hopefully) shouldn't get infected. what are your other experiences with a bird of this type of injury? Is there anything I should expect? or any way to make the injury less painful?

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Rob » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:35 pm

I would also rub an antibacterial ointment on it, such as polysporin. That will protect it from bacteria as well. Hydrogen peroxide as far as I understand only flushes out existing bacteria.

Once it's healed, I don't think there's anything else you could do. Just continue to monitor like you are and your bird should live a long happy life.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:56 pm

FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3