Society with missing flight feathers?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Theresa
Pip
Pip

Society with missing flight feathers?

Post by Theresa » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:09 pm

I have a female society finch that I have kept for quite a while with my zebra finch and they get along great. Lately she has had trouble flying around the cage and I often see her just climbing the bars. I put a small ladder in and it has helped her. Recently I saw when she was preening that she is missing almost all of her flight feathers on her right wing. I have no idea what might have caused this.

She has been acting normally other than that, I would hope it isn't her companion because I have never seen him act aggressively towards her. They cuddle and preen each other frequently.

Here is a video of her when I noticed what was up with her wing. Sorry for the poor quality.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Society with missing flight feathers?

Post by Flight Feathers » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:13 am

Do the feathers look like they have been plucked? As I’m not sure how else she would loose her flight feathers.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:51 am

Some society’s get this problem what diet do you feed them
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:09 am

And the guilty is ?! of corse the zebras :mrgreen:
same here lots of my zebras wich are in common indoor aviary have this problem on their wing and especialy on their Flight feather ( :mrgreen: ) and the tail bars , this happens in both gender

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:44 am

Theresa

It seems like the feathers were bitten off rather than plucked out, as it looked like she still had the base of those feathers. I'd need a closer picture to be sure, though.

Does your zebra finch ever peck your society finch during courtship? My male society finches and male Java finch would occasionally peck other birds' wings while doing a courtship dance; they only seemed to be trying to get the other bird's attention, but occasionally broke off a feather in the process.

Theresa
Pip
Pip

Post by Theresa » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:14 am

Flight Feathers
I'm not sure, she still has the feathers covering her wing. There aren't any bare spots that I can see.

Theresa
Pip
Pip

Post by Theresa » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:15 am

Fraza
I feed them a seed mix for finches with eggshells and cuttle bone mixed in regularly. I'll be relieved if its just her diet, that seems like an easier fix.

Theresa
Pip
Pip

Post by Theresa » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:15 am

Icearstorm
He is super gentle from what I've seen. I have really only seen him preening her face feathers, and he used to court her much more than he does now. I'll try and get a better picture of her wing. I think it would be weird that all of her flight feathers would be gone if it was him

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:05 am

Theresa I think it can be when they are going through a molt I’ve had a few with it I’ve had three recently and two of them are getting better I bought them a vitamin liquid and put it in there drinking water only three times a week and they are getting better now
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3