Baby Finch Leg Getting Stuck Behind His Wing

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
OhNayeli
Mature
Mature

Baby Finch Leg Getting Stuck Behind His Wing

Post by OhNayeli » Fri May 04, 2018 8:46 pm

Hello everyone 2 of my 3 zebra finch babies fledge today i put one back into the nest just to make sure it didnt fall and the 2nd one came out later but his right leg is like twisted in todards his belly and his toes look weird and at times when he drags himself his leg goes behind his wing his toes are like straight out and it doesnt seem like he uses them. Should i put him back into the nest so the parents keep feeding him but is there anything i can do i will include a few pictures evebtough they dont look too good i will take more if i can as i dnt eant to stress him or the parents

Thank you
Attachments
20180504_183813.jpg
20180504_183801.jpg
20180504_183135.jpg

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Baby Finch Leg Getting Stuck Behind His Wing

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri May 04, 2018 11:13 pm

Can it still hop around okay? Do the parents still feed it? Does it look in pain?
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

OhNayeli
Mature
Mature

Post by OhNayeli » Sat May 05, 2018 12:56 am

Flight Feathers wrote: Can it still hop around okay? Do the parents still feed it? Does it look in pain?
Hello thx for replying i lined the bottom of the cage with newspaper and he drags himself but his leg somehow gets on the top of his wing so he struggles alittle bit but eventually manages to move his leg down. He does not look like he is in pain he was trying to move towards his parents and kept moving around the cage. And the parents are still feeding them i wasnt expecting the eggs to hatch and the nest was too small so i think that was the problem the parents havent been sleeping in the nest for more than week because they dont fit they just stand outside the nest and feed them. It was either something to do with the nest or when he came out of the nest. But I placed him back into the nest to see if they will feed him as they have still been feeding the other two.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat May 05, 2018 5:17 am

OhNayeli I’ve just had similiar experience with a zebra fledgling and yeh is it the toes going upwards and splitting the wings

In my case I left him to it I helped it up to the nest and then left the parents to feed it however mine was cut so I bathed it in Epsom salt as I got told by elena then now he’s fine and he flue around and perched on one leg perfectly

Make some bigger perches if u can
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

OhNayeli
Mature
Mature

Post by OhNayeli » Sat May 05, 2018 10:55 am

Fraza wrote: OhNayeli I’ve just had similiar experience with a zebra fledgling and yeh is it the toes going upwards and splitting the wings

In my case I left him to it I helped it up to the nest and then left the parents to feed it however mine was cut so I bathed it in Epsom salt as I got told by elena then now he’s fine and he flue around and perched on one leg perfectly

Make some bigger perches if u can
When he drags himself the leg somehow goes behind his wing towards the humerus and as he drags himself i guess the leg moves down and it goes back to being tucked under his belly its his right leg and instead of the bottom of his foot being on the ground the side of his toes are the ones touching the ground and his toes are just straight and sticking out inwards aswell.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat May 05, 2018 2:24 pm

OhNayeli it sounds really similar to my zebbie I wish I saved the photo now it might be on a topic but I can’t remember the name of the thread but it should be fine but it might not form back normal if a bone is broken also if it’s cut treat it with Epsom salt
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sat May 05, 2018 4:05 pm

OhNayeli wrote:
Flight Feathers wrote: Can it still hop around okay? Do the parents still feed it? Does it look in pain?
Hello thx for replying i lined the bottom of the cage with newspaper and he drags himself but his leg somehow gets on the top of his wing so he struggles alittle bit but eventually manages to move his leg down. He does not look like he is in pain he was trying to move towards his parents and kept moving around the cage. And the parents are still feeding them i wasnt expecting the eggs to hatch and the nest was too small so i think that was the problem the parents havent been sleeping in the nest for more than week because they dont fit they just stand outside the nest and feed them. It was either something to do with the nest or when he came out of the nest. But I placed him back into the nest to see if they will feed him as they have still been feeding the other two.
If it doesn’t seem in pain and is still getting fed then that’s a good sign! How many other babies are there? And usually the parents only sit on the babies for a week after they hatch. I hope your baby finch is going to be okay!

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

OhNayeli
Mature
Mature

Post by OhNayeli » Sat May 05, 2018 11:56 pm

Fraza wrote: OhNayeli it sounds really similar to my zebbie I wish I saved the photo now it might be on a topic but I can’t remember the name of the thread but it should be fine but it might not form back normal if a bone is broken also if it’s cut treat it with Epsom salt
I dont think its a a piece of thread but if they come out tomorrow i will check.

OhNayeli
Mature
Mature

Post by OhNayeli » Sun May 06, 2018 12:03 am

Flight Feathers wrote:
OhNayeli wrote:
If it doesn’t seem in pain and is still getting fed then that’s a good sign! How many other babies are there? And usually the parents only sit on the babies for a week after they hatch. I hope your baby finch is going to be okay!
There are two more babies. And i do think he is getting fed i can hear the parents but i was worried they wouldnt want him bcuz i grabbed him yesterday a few times. And thx i hope so too

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun May 06, 2018 2:52 am

Flight Feathers wrote:
OhNayeli wrote:
There are two more babies. And i do think he is getting fed i can hear the parents but i was worried they wouldnt want him bcuz i grabbed him yesterday a few times. And thx i hope so too[/quote]

My best breeding pair will still feed my babies even when I hold them. Although some terrible parents wouldn’t so I guess it does depend. Hope it’s going to be okay.!

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun May 06, 2018 7:25 am

OhNayeli no I don’t mean it’s a piece of thread I meant to say I couldn’t remember my thread with the pics of the chicks leg but doesn’t matter how’s he doing today
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun May 06, 2018 7:26 am

OhNayeli I think it’s fine with you touching them I touched the java chicks and they haven’t even abondened there’s neither have any of my society’s or zebras
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

OhNayeli
Mature
Mature

Post by OhNayeli » Sun May 06, 2018 3:28 pm

Fraza wrote: OhNayeli no I don’t mean it’s a piece of thread I meant to say I couldn’t remember my thread with the pics of the chicks leg but doesn’t matter how’s he doing today

Omg i didnt read it right sorry lol was it the one were your finch got stuck and dragged the baby or something like that?? Because i did read it or at least some of it. I havent seen him one baby came out of the nest and in about an hour i will either lower the nest or take the other two out to check them

OhNayeli
Mature
Mature

Post by OhNayeli » Sun May 06, 2018 3:31 pm

Fraza wrote: OhNayeli I think it’s fine with you touching them I touched the java chicks and they haven’t even abondened there’s neither have any of my society’s or zebras
Oh really the thing is that this is their 3rd clutch but the only one that has made it this far. On the first one they threw out 4 babies in the second 3 and in this one 1. I was expecting these babies to be thrown out a few days after they were born.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun May 06, 2018 4:34 pm

OhNayeli wrote:
Fraza wrote: OhNayeli I think it’s fine with you touching them I touched the java chicks and they haven’t even abondened there’s neither have any of my society’s or zebras
Oh really the thing is that this is their 3rd clutch but the only one that has made it this far. On the first one they threw out 4 babies in the second 3 and in this one 1. I was expecting these babies to be thrown out a few days after they were born.
Oh wow well I’m glad these babies haven’t been tossed! Maybe they’re learning!