Short/Ratty Tails?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
kirrrbylicious
Pip
Pip

Short/Ratty Tails?

Post by kirrrbylicious » Thu May 17, 2018 9:56 pm

Thanks for the add! I hope this is the appropriate place to post this, please let me know if not! I'm fairly new to finches and have had three females since October. I started with four (they did come from a pet store), but had an unexpected death of my male in January and now have three females. I'm so excited to learn how to improve my husbandry and give these little beauties the best life possible.

With that said, none of the females have full tails, and I'm not sure if this is something related to molting or something concerning? A quick overview of their setup: they're in a 30"x18"x36" cage (the height has recently been increased from 18", which I know isn't a huge concern since they're not climbing birds but they do seem to enjoy the extra height), are fed a mix of Zupreem and Harrison's High Potency pellets with fresh veggies regularly, have constant access to fresh water, and have a fairly constant ambient temperature of around 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit. They have two "finch nest" baskets at the top of the cage and none of them have any issues flying and spend the day exploring their cage and toys and chirping (I hope) happily. They're quite nervous birds, which I know is their nature, so I do my best to minimize stress in their lives as much as possible - the most traumatic thing I do is change their water and clean their cage weekly. They share a bedroom with my five pet rats, who are never allowed near the cage or interact with them in any way.

I've tried to do some research into why their tails might look like this, and have come up dry. I'm absolutely happy to take any constructive feedback on my setup or suggestions on how to improve. I have a top rated avian and exotics vet that can see them if necessary, but would love some opinions from experienced owners as well. Thank you!

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Short/Ratty Tails?

Post by wildbird » Thu May 17, 2018 10:31 pm

They should not be able to see the rats. They are a predator. It would be better if they were in a different room, in case of escape. What kind of finches are they? I have three Societies, all males. One did not have a tail when I bought it three months ago, and it is just now starting to come in. I feed kelp granules with their mineral mix, but don't know if this is what is helping. Sometimes the birds are plucked by other birds. They will probably grow in eventually.

kirrrbylicious
Pip
Pip

Post by kirrrbylicious » Thu May 17, 2018 11:03 pm

It would be better if they were in a different room, in case of escape.
They aren’t able to see the rats - my household also has cats and the room they’re in is the only one from which the cats are barred, so it’s actually safer than any other room. They aren’t near the rats (and I’m familiar with their predatory instincts with birds which is why they’re so strictly separated) nor are the rats allowed anywhere close to the half of the room where the birds are when they free range and the rats are kept caged otherwise. When the rats are allowed out I don’t allow anyone near the birdcage to prevent any accidents. They are societies, though I don’t have any idea on their age.

Where do you recommend I find kelp granules? If that may help promote feather growth it’s worth trying.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri May 18, 2018 7:14 am

kirrrbylicious

I used to have several society finches that had messed-up tails; their tails eventually grew back, but it took several months. The tail feathers will only grow back once they are dropped, so you will have to wait until the birds moult them out for the new feathers to grow back in. My finches didn't seem used to having long tail feathers, and it took them a while to stop plucking or biting off those feathers. Perhaps yours are similar.

As far as diet does, provide calcium if you haven't already; ground oyster shells, cooked eggshells, cuttlebone, calcium powder, and/or calcium drops work. The pellet versus seed debate will likely continue for some time; mine eat seed, but if yours are healthy with pellets, it should be fine to continue providing them.

I'd recommend taking out the nests. Female birds can lay eggs even without a male, and egg-laying can deplete a female of calcium and put her at risk for egg-binding. The risk of egg-laying is reduced when there is no nesting site. All of my birds do well sleeping on a perch, so yours shouldn't have an issue once they get used to it.

kirrrbylicious
Pip
Pip

Post by kirrrbylicious » Fri May 18, 2018 7:50 am

Icearstorm Thanks for the tips!

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri May 18, 2018 12:02 pm

It can be with the perches being close to the cage bars usually pet shops do this trying to crest flight space but then they end up doing this to there tails it’s happened to a few society’s ive bought but it will grow back soon if you do the things icestorm said
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri May 18, 2018 4:28 pm

kirrrbylicious

You're welcome!

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Fri May 18, 2018 10:32 pm

The kelp granules can be bought from ladygouldianfinch.com and maybe from ladygouldian.com. The shipping is kind of high, and I don't know if it has anything to do with his tail growing in. I just know that what I mix with the oyster shell and mineral mix has disappeared, so they must be eating it. But they are getting the oyster shell and cuttlebone which they weren't getting at the store.

kirrrbylicious
Pip
Pip

Post by kirrrbylicious » Fri May 18, 2018 11:47 pm

wildbird Thanks a ton! I’m not too worried about shipping if I get the right product - it’s worth it! Is oyster shell mix something I can get from ladygouldian too? Sorry for all the questions!

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sat May 19, 2018 10:47 pm

You should be able to get it there. I always get mine from the bird shows. If you have a pet store that carries Higgins products, their Sunburst mineral grit has enriched oyster shells in it. I use some of that too. Some others to check would be Drs.FosterSmith.com 800-443-1160. ladygouldian.com 770-939-4531 (Georgia), ladygouldianfinch.com 800-579-7974 (California). mysafebirdstore.com 855-697-2332 (New Jersey)