Please Help ASAP - blood from vent and nose

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
finchescb
Hatchling
Hatchling

Please Help ASAP - blood from vent and nose

Post by finchescb » Mon May 21, 2018 12:36 pm

I have a canary chick who has blood coming out his vent and his nose. The blood from his vent was a dark red fluid hanging there. He’s a fledgling. I tried to give him a little quik-gel. I think he might have had a small amount. I can’t get him to a vet but is there anything I can do for him? He is still active and moving around. Thanks so much in advance.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Please Help ASAP - blood from vent and nose

Post by wildbird » Mon May 21, 2018 11:11 pm

Blood doesn't hang, but drips, so it must be on a dropping or possibly a worm. Could he have gotten blood on his beak from pecking at the vent area? I would not add any stress by catching him at this time, as it may cause additional blood loss. Provide lots of clean water and you could add a heat lamp to one side of the cage, but be sure he can get away from the heat if he needs to. Some birds don't like a light bulb, so I use a ceramic 60 watt bulb which only emits heat, no light. The part that the ceramic bulb screws into on the dome must be ceramic, not plastic. I hope that your fledgling recovers.

finchescb
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by finchescb » Wed May 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Thank you wildbird for your suggestions. The canary chick seems to be doing well. I haven’t seen any more bleeding and he is hopping around fine. I have a bath in there for him to use to clean himself off. Otherwise, he seems to be doing well.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu May 24, 2018 12:04 am

Good to hear that he is doing well.