HELP - Hen needs to get healthy after babies

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Dbearden
Hatchling
Hatchling

HELP - Hen needs to get healthy after babies

Post by Dbearden » Tue May 22, 2018 9:01 am

My Gouldian hen has had several attempts with laying eggs and finally successful with two fledglings! Now she needs to get healthy. Looks like she has been pecked, as loss of feathers on her head and around beak. I have removed her from the aviary to a cage by herself. I will put her under a light but what should I give her to help with feather growth and generally building her back up?
I thought about liquid vitamin product I have.....
Thanks in advance,
Deana

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: HELP - Hen needs to get healthy after babies

Post by Icearstorm » Tue May 22, 2018 9:29 am

Dbearden

I haven't tried it before, but there's a product called Feather Fast that's supposed to be good for gouldians. lovezebs may be able to tell you more about it.

Iodine deficiency can lead to feather loss, so giving her a bit might help. It is most commonly in a solution that is mixed into the water.

Dbearden
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Dbearden » Tue May 22, 2018 9:43 am

Thanks! That’s what I thought, and I do have this product! Also wondering about any certain food.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Tue May 22, 2018 11:56 am

Feather growth needs lots of protein. For that the best is eggs. I use the dry commercial preparations but some use freshly boiled eggs. My birds seem to prefer the dry food.
Eggs also contain vitamins.

Be careful with the liquid vitamin supplements added to water. Not only easy to overdose but some make the water go bad. Be sure to change the water daily at minimum.