Paint fumes

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Daniel
Pip
Pip

Paint fumes

Post by Daniel » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:26 pm

Hello all,

Tomorrow, the main level of our house is being painted. I am moving our two finches to our upstairs bathroom (as far away as I can get them from the main level) and will keep them there (with towel under the door crack and fan on) until it's safe for them to return downstairs. Does anyone know how long this would be (roughly speaking)? Days? Weeks? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,
Dan

tex
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Paint fumes

Post by tex » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:12 pm

Hey Daniel, i recently painted my whole house top to bottom and my two zebras seemed totally unaffected by the smell of paint with no strange behaviour or signs of distress whatsoever. Niether are they upset by cooking smells,plug in air freshners or my sons feet :) as for fans and towels my own experience suggests its unneccesary but i am happy to be corrected if somebody has had a different reaction. :wink:

Daniel
Pip
Pip

Post by Daniel » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Thanks Tex!

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:17 pm

Paint fumes are toxic to birds. They should be kept away until the odor is gone which is usually when the paint dries completely depending on the paint used.

tex
Nestling
Nestling

Post by tex » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:39 am

Non toxic paint is available to buy....https://www.lakelandpaints.co.uk/?gclid ... gIgWvD_BwE

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:44 pm

Daniel

If it is low-odor latex paint, that is the safest kind you can use around birds, but I would still keep them away from that area until all smell is gone. Better safe than sorry.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org