Gouldian Health Risks

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
kirrrbylicious
Pip
Pip

Gouldian Health Risks

Post by kirrrbylicious » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:32 am

Hi all, I didn't see this answered anywhere but please let me know if I've missed anything.

I've been considering adding Gouldians to my home, and currently have four society finches. I was told by someone (in a group on Facebook, so quality of information is slightly suspect) that my societies can transfer a number of illnesses to Gouldians and recommended beginning an antibiotic therapy immediately upon bringing any Gouldians home. My societies are healthy and thriving, but I know many animals can be vectors for disease without actually being ill themselves.

Please bear in mind this is research before I decide to add any new birds to my home, and if the risks are too great, I simply won't. I have no intention of housing them together, and would properly quarantine any new birds (for both my resident birds' sake as well as the new birds), but as someone in veterinary medicine this seems contradictory to good antibiotic use to me.

So my questions are:
-Can anyone speak to a regimen like this as a quarantine standard?
-Are there particular illnesses that Gouldians may be predisposed to that could be transferred from a healthy society?
-Should I decide to bring Gouldians into my home, are there any specific blood tests or precautions (aside from antiparasitics) that I should take outside of a quarantine/veterinary exam?

Thank you!

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Gouldian Health Risks

Post by wilkifam » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:08 pm

Societies can carry a couple of diseases that do not bother them, but are not good for Gouldians. I keep both species, but not together.

See the following article, it is about fostering, but explains what you are asking about.

https://ladygouldian.com/Fostering-with-Society-Finches
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

kirrrbylicious
Pip
Pip

Post by kirrrbylicious » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:12 pm

wilkifam Great info, thank you! If I do end up getting Gouldians I'll bring my societies in for a full workup first.

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:19 pm

Or simply keep them separated
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

kirrrbylicious
Pip
Pip

Post by kirrrbylicious » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:22 pm

wilkifam Oh yes, I'd never had any intention of housing them together - it'd be out of an abundance of caution!

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Just don't let your Societies feed baby Gouldian chicks. As long as they're separate, they should be fine.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:10 am

I’ve been to many breeders and saw society’s with their gouldians and I know someone who has bred since the 1970s and he said that he’s always raised the gouldians under the society’s then the gouldians that we’re raised by the society’s are able to raise there own

So I guess it’s fine
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:08 pm

Soceities can be great foster parents but treat them before letting them foster as they can transfer a number of diseases to the chicks and kill them. The diseases won't bother their own chicks though.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:34 am

CathyCraftz really I never knew that can u tell if ur society’s have that disease or not
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Tengo
Pip
Pip

Re: Gouldian breathes heavy and bobbing tail

Post by Tengo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:15 pm

Hello,
My gouldian breathing heavy.
I bought it 2,5 month ago. It was clicking and had not voice. I treated with Scatt 3 times, every 21 days. After first treatment he became healthy but after second treat he became again sick. Its tail bobbing, breathing heavy, often clicking and sleeping. Sometimes wake ups drinking water and eating. Please help me. I love my Gouldian boy.
P.s. I thought that maybe he has another viruses or bacteria? I need your advise. I am going to use Doxycycline during 10 days. Does it kills viruses and bacteria?
Thank you
Attachments
FC397EC2-4AF9-49DF-997B-7350E00CB3B7.jpeg
FC397EC2-4AF9-49DF-997B-7350E00CB3B7.jpeg