Parsons finch - can't tell if she's ill, conflicting signals

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Parsons
Pip
Pip

Parsons finch - can't tell if she's ill, conflicting signals

Post by Parsons » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:14 pm

This is my first post on the forum. I acquired a pair of Parsons finch from a Bird Mart last month. The one I suspect is a female is showing some odd behavior.

Yesterday afternoon she was on the cage floor and behaving as if she was ill or egg-bound -- fluffed up and not moving when my hand went in the cage. I removed her to a quarantine cage, put a little olive oil around the vent, covered the cage and placed it in a warm room. I checked on her before bed and she was sitting nestled in the food bowl. This morning, we opened the door to the room and she and the male were frantically calling to each other across the rooms. She was hopping and flitting about the cage and seemed perfectly fine so I put her back in with her mate.

But now for pertinent background. All my birds were at a pet sitters for 2 weeks before this. The pet sitter informed me that the female finch had twice settled on the cage floor acting as if she were laying an egg. This happened a few days apart toward the end of the 2 weeks. I have had them back at home now for five days and yesterday was the first time I saw this happen.

I assume she wouldn't be back to normal if she was indeed egg-bound. I am new to Parsons finches, have only had society and zebras years ago.

Any ideas on what may be going on?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you if you read this long post!
Have a pair of Parsons finch, female pair of canaries, pair of button quail, and pair of diamond doves. Also two large dogs, rabbit, and cornsnake.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Parsons finch - can't tell if she's ill, conflicting sig

Post by wildbird » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:36 pm

How old is your finch? She may be too young to lay eggs, but I would keep cuttlebone and oyster shell available to her. You might want to have some calcium supplement available, in case this happens again. I use Avitech Cal-D-Solve calcium/magnesium supplement powder which is added to the drinking water. I only put it in the water while the bird is showing symptoms of egg laying or is laying eggs. Not for more than three days at a time. www.avitech.com

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:57 am

If it is egg bound I would get some warm water not too hot just warm and trap her inside a bird bath and leave her in there for about ten minutes so it can steam up, make sure there’s holes for air tho but I’ve done this with egg bound birds and usually a little while after they plop one out

Goodluck
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Parsons
Pip
Pip

Post by Parsons » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:44 pm

@ wildbird, thank you for your reply. I am unsure of age. Those selling them at the bird mart just said they were "young." I've had them just a month. Perhaps she is just too young.

I have grit that I've just added in a separate dish. I'll pick up some calcium supplement to have on hand and a cuttlebone.

Since she seems fine now, do you think it was something like a phantom pregnancy? (Pet rabbits can have phantom pregnancies where they nest and get moody but are not pregnant.)

@ Fraza, thanks for replying. I am inexperienced in this, but I can't imagine she was actually egg-bound if she's acting normal now yet hasn't laid an egg. Wouldn't she still be miserable?

I'll keep your advice in mind if needed in the future.
Have a pair of Parsons finch, female pair of canaries, pair of button quail, and pair of diamond doves. Also two large dogs, rabbit, and cornsnake.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:25 pm

Try to get some crushed oyster shell for finches, as mineral grit usually doesn't have it, although some do. I provide both. She just might be young and I think will be fine.

Parsons
Pip
Pip

Post by Parsons » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:41 pm

The one grit I have just says it is for "small birds." The first 3 ingredients listed are:
Granite grit
Oyster shell
Calcium carbonate

The other grit I have is much smaller grain but doesn't even list what is in it, so I'm suspect of that one.

Is there other grit that is just oyster shell? Or is what I have ok along with a cuttlebone?

I also will dry and crush egg shells for my other birds. I could offer that as well.

Appreciate your suggestions. I've seen conflicting info on what grit to use.

She still seems to be acting her normal self!

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:03 am

Did you see an egg on the hospital cage floor? If so, she was egg bound. Supply her with plenty of calcium before she gets egg bound again. You're lucky she survived at the pet sitter's and been egg bound several times.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

Parsons
Pip
Pip

Post by Parsons » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:15 am

no. There was not an egg on the hospital cage floor. She has never laid an egg- not at the pet sitter's nor at home. That is why I wonder what it could have been. :-?

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:30 pm

Parsons yes actually I didn’t realise she was being normal now sometimes they need a boost of vitamins u can buy a liquid from most pet shops called VITAMIN with a blow circle around the name and this works well
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:30 pm

U just add it to there drinking water only twice a week and empty water after 24 hours
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Parsons
Pip
Pip

Post by Parsons » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:09 pm

I have some Avian Plus vitamins I started giving. I'll look for a calcium supplement too at Amazon. The pet store didn't have any today.

It would make sense that maybe she was/is missing some nutrients. Who knows what care she was getting before I got her.

Thanks all for your input!

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:37 pm

Parsons Yh also some birds are bred from weak bloodlines and need to go to a good home like ourselves to eventually get healthy

My favourite finch came to me so weak he couldn’t even fly or anything now he’s living in the aviary raised about 20 clutches and does well with the lady’s lol !!
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL