amount of calcium supplement for Parsons Finch?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Parsons
Pip
Pip

amount of calcium supplement for Parsons Finch?

Post by Parsons » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:19 pm

I'm having a hard time getting specifics on just how much calcium to offer my pair of finches.

I purchased Avian Calcium which states it is "ultrafine precipitated calcium carbonate."
The label warns against offering too much.
It states it has 38-43% calcium.

Can anyone help?
Have a pair of Parsons finch, female pair of canaries, pair of button quail, and pair of diamond doves. Also two large dogs, rabbit, and cornsnake.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: amount of calcium supplement for Parsons Finch?

Post by Sally » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:20 pm

Parsons I googled this, and is it Zoo Med? I haven't used this, but I don't understand why you would need to limit the amount given to the birds. I use an oyster shell grit, and I offer it free choice in a cup. I think the birds will regulate themselves.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Parsons
Pip
Pip

Post by Parsons » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:25 am

Yes, it is from Zoo Med. It is in powder form and is supposed to be added to their food.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but the label warns against overfeeding it.

I also have grit with oyster shell. (and Avian Plus vitamins)

Haven't had these two birds for very long and had a recent scare with the female. So now I'm trying to be sure she's getting all she needs.

(That 'scare' can be seen at the following thread:
http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39171
Have a pair of Parsons finch, female pair of canaries, pair of button quail, and pair of diamond doves. Also two large dogs, rabbit, and cornsnake.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:18 am

I occasionally give crushed oyster shell but my principal source of calcium is pulverized eggshells. A half teaspoon in the feed cup every now and then..
Like Sally, I think it is safer to let them regulate their needs themselves. If they don't need it they will leave it alone.
There is always a danger of overmedicating. Specially with anything added to their water. They need and will drink water and if it contains some magic potion they can overdose.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:37 am

I'm with Sally and paul-inAZ, the birds will regulate themselves.

With whatever I'm feeding, I let the birds decide. I feed seed varieties, eggs, greens and mineral mix all separately and they change their intake seasonally in way that seems to make sense.

For instance, in the winter (I don't heat the aviary) they eat a lot of sunflower chips. The same thing when a nest of young is about half grown. In June they ate a LOT of greens, and not much egg food. Now, with the molt just starting, they're still eating a lot of greens but also they've started gobbling down eggfood.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Parsons
Pip
Pip

Post by Parsons » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:51 pm

Bummer. It sounds like I wasted my money buying the calcium since it's in powder form. I don't suppose they have any way of consuming it even if it's in its own dish?

I know not to add things to the water -- that goes for any of my pets. (but thanks for the warning since you couldn't assume I would know :wink: )

Thank you all for your advice.

So then,
Between the grit with oyster shell that I keep in a separate dish, occasional crushed egg shell, seed mix, occasional greens, and a couple mealworms 2 or 3 times per week...that should be a sufficient diet?