Lighting-How bright?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Lighting-How bright?

Post by canary3000 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:00 pm

I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I'm not sure how bright i should make my bird cages. I understand the use of 6500k.
Is one CFL 6500k and 3800 lumens bright enough or could I go with t5 tube lights producing anywhere from 10,000 lumen and up.
I don't want to blind my birds and cause issue, but I don't like a dim light either.
T5 lights are more spread out then one CFL.
What about ez breeder lights?

jimenezl
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Re: Lighting-How bright?

Post by jimenezl » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:36 am

I did a lot of research a few years back and set one of each on my 30" cage, but plan to go to LED's in future flight and breeding cages.

Exo Terra Repti-Glo 2.0 Compact Fluorescent Full Spectrum Terrarium Lamp (Natural Light)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010 ... UTF8&psc=1

Exo Terra Repti-Glo 5.0 Compact Fluorescent Tropical Terrarium Lamp
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y ... UTF8&psc=1

Regards,

Luis
Two RC Cordon Bleu,

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:11 pm

I've seen articles about European finch breeders. Some of the set-ups were not bright at all, especially the lower cages. In my own bird room, I use one or two watts of LED (actual watts) per square foot of cage. That is plenty bright enough for me to see the birds well. I put the light on one end of the cage so the birds can either be in the light or out of it.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Post by canary3000 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:11 pm

I find this topic very interesting. You ask a hundred people and get a hundred different opinions on lighting. I've decided to get an LED corn cob light, which brightens the whole room, not just the cages. I do agree that birds don't need a very bright light. Birds in the woods have shaded lighting. That's where most of our wild birds hang out. If you can post a picture of your lighted cage I'd like to see it. Close and at a distance. And what lighting source and amount of lumens you are using. Thanks