Orange Cheek dying ... what is this?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Sandra
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Orange Cheek dying ... what is this?

Post by Sandra » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:16 pm

My Orange Cheek suddenly became pooffy. Not doing much. I took her out and noticed is more red-ish inder her.

Is this normal or what could it be?

My other 3 birds seem fine.
Attachments
received_1133453836831731.jpeg

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Orange Cheek dying ... what is this?

Post by wildbird » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:45 pm

Could be egg binding or an egg could be in the wrong position. Try giving a drop of liquid calcium to the side of the beak. Follow directions for egg bound hens on the forum. If you have the kind of calcium for birds that is added to the water, that would be good. A trusted avian vet could take an x-ray and that would show if there is an egg there.

Sandra
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Sandra » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:31 am

wildbird wrote: Could be egg binding or an egg could be in the wrong position. Try giving a drop of liquid calcium to the side of the beak. Follow directions for egg bound hens on the forum. If you have the kind of calcium for birds that is added to the water, that would be good. A trusted avian vet could take an x-ray and that would show if there is an egg there.
Thabk yoou, I will try. I do have Fvite that I can use.

I put her in a hospital cage last night expecting her to not make it. And she's all full of energy. What is going on?? She was in the bottom of the hospital bed with her head down.

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:40 am

Definitely egg binding. If you noticed the symptoms too late she could have died. Don't trust sites that suggest rubbing olive oil on the vent, it will not work. Just give her egg food in a heated hospital cage and water of course and give her some privacy to lay the egg.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

Sandra
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Sandra » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:48 am

CathyCraftz wrote: Definitely egg binding. If you noticed the symptoms too late she could have died. Don't trust sites that suggest rubbing olive oil on the vent, it will not work. Just give her egg food in a heated hospital cage and water of course and give her some privacy to lay the egg.
Oh no!!!! She in the hospital cage now. Because the other birds (her mate and golden breasted waxwings) were being too active around her. Is she looking for a nest to lay egg?

Sandra
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Sandra » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:55 am

Her energy perked up since last night. I thought she was dying. Im keeping an eye on her. Any suggestions you guys have please let me know.

Sandra
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Sandra » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:50 pm

Update: she got her egg out!!! Its soft. She got plenty of calcium in her hospital cage. I checked her vent and she seem to have more. So she will stay there for a bit.
Attachments
received_2153636751626185.jpeg

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:25 am

She may not have any more eggs. I would provide finely crushed egg shell always available for her and oyster shell. She might be too young to be laying eggs. If you are getting the Fvite from ladygouldianfinch.com, you could also get calcium plus powder or calcium plus. Fvite is a mineral grit is not really a calcium supplement. She needs to build up her calcium and D3 before being used for breeding. www.avitec.com has a good calcium supplement which disolves in water. I use it. It is called Cal-D-Solve by Avitech. I hope she will continue to improve.

Sandra
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Sandra » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:57 pm

wildbird wrote: She may not have any more eggs. I would provide finely crushed egg shell always available for her and oyster shell. She might be too young to be laying eggs. If you are getting the Fvite from ladygouldianfinch.com, you could also get calcium plus powder or calcium plus. Fvite is a mineral grit is not really a calcium supplement. She needs to build up her calcium and D3 before being used for breeding. http://www.avitec.com has a good calcium supplement which disolves in water. I use it. It is called Cal-D-Solve by Avitech. I hope she will continue to improve.
Thanks so much for the info!

I bought her September 2017 and Im not "using' her for breeding. Theres no nest in her cage. I have fine eggshells in her Fvite. Im givimg Phoenix Worms which are full calcium and she loves it.

She didnt have another egg and was back to normal so she went back to her mate. But am keeping an eye on her.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:02 pm

Sandra

She may lay more. I hen that goes viciously for eggshells is a sure sign
she is going to lay eggs, or she had a calcium depletion and needs the calcium.

A hen can skip a day while laying.

If she hits those eggshells like a shark....give them to her daily.

Sandra
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Sandra » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:50 am

Babs wrote: Sandra

She may lay more. I hen that goes viciously for eggshells is a sure sign
she is going to lay eggs, or she had a calcium depletion and needs the calcium.

A hen can skip a day while laying.

If she hits those eggshells like a shark....give them to her daily.
Thanks so much! Its been now 5 days and she didnt lay anotjer egg. Youre right she was going for the eggshells quite a bit. Shes back with her mate and still doing fine since she layed that egg on the photo.