Zebra finch died in his sleep

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
kanth
Pip
Pip

Zebra finch died in his sleep

Post by kanth » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:02 pm

I have 2 finches, both male, a society finch and a zebra finch. I have had them around 3 months now. Today was normal, I gave them fresh food and water and let them be. They went into the nest at noon to take a nap, like they do everyday. The zebra finch did not wake up, I have no idea what happened. Only 2 things have changed: I removed their UVB light yesterday, my bearded dragons light broke and he needs it more, I thought they could wait 2-3 days for shipping. I also gave them nesting material last week. Before that it was an empty nest, I cut up paper towels for them. Bounty if it makes a difference. They are in a 30x18x18 cage, 2 natural perches, 1 nail filing pumice perch, 1 flat perch, 2 swings, 2 nests, 3 small shredding toys, 1 bell, cuttlebone, and food/water dishes. I fed them harrisons, tops, and goldenfeast pellets with seeds, herbs, veggies, and fruit. I am new to finches but I have 6 parrots so not new to birds, I thought I was doing well. I looked him over, he had some sort of skin irritation.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Zebra finch died in his sleep

Post by wildbird » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:27 pm

Where was the skin irritation and what did it look like? I would not use Bounty paper towels, as I've heard there is a lot of zinc in the glue on them. Also, the clapper on the bell is likely to be lead. These things wouldn't have killed your Zebra without symptoms showing, but they could be dangerous to your birds. For a nest I use cut up Timothy hay for the Societies. They will even put oat spray in there. With the skin irritation it could be that your Zebra was highly allergic to something.

kanth
Pip
Pip

Post by kanth » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:50 am

wildbird wrote: Where was the skin irritation and what did it look like? I would not use Bounty paper towels, as I've heard there is a lot of zinc in the glue on them. Also, the clapper on the bell is likely to be lead. These things wouldn't have killed your Zebra without symptoms showing, but they could be dangerous to your birds. For a nest I use cut up Timothy hay for the Societies. They will even put oat spray in there. With the skin irritation it could be that your Zebra was highly allergic to something.
It was on his upper chest, 2 small spots. One spot was a very small dot and the other was a slightly larger line. It was brownish red, not dried blood, definitely just the skin color. The bell was a bird safe toy but he rarely touched it. I am getting a necropsy tomorrow when the vet clinic opens

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:32 am

Maybe an infection? Birds always hide their sickness so predators won't target them. I've never heard of birds being allergic to something but it could be the case.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

tex
Nestling
Nestling

Post by tex » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:11 am

Hey Kanth, so sorry to hear you lost one of your birds, i have a similar scenario ie two male zebras, i line the cage floor with bounty XL because it fits without cutting but i had NO IDEA it contained zinc. i provided a jute and cotton wool nest recently and they have been fine, they stay indoors with plenty of natural light so no need for a lamp.Please provide a new companion for your bird asap

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:58 am

It could of been anything to something so small as eating a piece of hair or anything I’m sorry for your loss
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

kanth
Pip
Pip

Post by kanth » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:39 am

CathyCraftz wrote: Maybe an infection? Birds always hide their sickness so predators won't target them. I've never heard of birds being allergic to something but it could be the case.
I know parrots can have allergic reaction to things but I don't know anything about it with finches. I dropped his body off at a vet clinic today for a necropsy

kanth
Pip
Pip

Post by kanth » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:43 am

tex wrote: Hey Kanth, so sorry to hear you lost one of your birds, i have a similar scenario ie two male zebras, i line the cage floor with bounty XL because it fits without cutting but i had NO IDEA it contained zinc. i provided a jute and cotton wool nest recently and they have been fine, they stay indoors with plenty of natural light so no need for a lamp.Please provide a new companion for your bird asap
I am going to switch paper towel brands. Are most other brands safe?

I provided uvb because my room has no windows. I have a roommate with a great dane so the finches stay in my room. I take my parrots outside for natural sunlight but I thought doing that frequently would be stressful for the finches. And that their small size might make them more sensitive to temperatures

I have already found a breeder. I have even picked the finch I want. I am waiting for necropsy results to make sure it was nothing contagious.

kanth
Pip
Pip

Post by kanth » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:43 am

Fraza wrote: It could of been anything to something so small as eating a piece of hair or anything I’m sorry for your loss
Thank you

canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Post by canary3000 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:10 pm

I'm really sorry for your loss. It's especially tough when you don't know why. I've been there. Keep educating yourself and enjoy this hobby. Even when you feel really down.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Your finches would enjoy the natural sunlight outside as long as they are safe from predators and have a shaded area also, so they don't get over heated. I take my Societies and Javas out on the screen porch every morning and they love it. Some sun will provide the vitamin D3 they need.

tex
Nestling
Nestling

Post by tex » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:28 am

I also put my birds outside most days for about an hour, they love it but i have to keep an eye on them because of cats,magpies,wasps etc

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:33 pm

kanth, Most zinc is in the glue which holds the paper towel on the roll. At the beginning, you have to peel the first piece off. That is the glue holding it. At the end there is usually glue on the last few sheets. You can feel it, as it is rough and not soft. I've been using Brawny paper towels, but recently there seems to be glue residue throughout some of the rolls. I wouldn't use it in a nest or on flooring. I've heard that Bounty has other hazardous chemicals in their paper towels.