Picking up my bird

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Birdlover2018
Pip
Pip

Picking up my bird

Post by Birdlover2018 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:02 pm

If I pick up my bird to say; trim his nails or apply medication for mites. Will we lose our bond and will he not trust me anymore?

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Picking up my bird

Post by Clairecanary15 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:53 pm

Once your bird is handled the first time he or she will start to learn that you are not harming him or her.

I had to catch one of mine and since then he is so laid back and friendly. I think our nerves are more our issue. I dont handle my birds unless absolutely necessary. I help them when they need it and they thank me after by not shying away from me and acting happy in my presence.

Mite treatment is a must. I actually use a mite treatment that goes in the drinking and bath water...I cant catch my 23 birds for spot on mite treatment. .not practical and unnecessary. Nail trimming is needed and sometimes there is just no choice. Give your bird a treat after so they see it as a positive reward.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:08 pm

Handling a bird doesn't seem to produce any increased fear, but the catching does. Chasing a bird is the quickest way to make it very afraid of you and should never be done. Grab them quickly in one stroke if you can, or pick them up in the dark when they don't see you approaching.
~Dylan

~~~

tex
Nestling
Nestling

Post by tex » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:36 am

i had exactly the same concerns recently when i had to catch my zebra to trim his beak but he was very calm and was happy to finger perch the very next day