mineral block and cuttlebone

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

mineral block and cuttlebone

Post by goldfinchowl » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:18 am

Society finches

Are mineral blocks and cuttlebone too hard for the beaks of small finches like society finches? I got both for them but the picture on the mineral block shows parrot type birds.
I'm afraid of injury to their beaks.

What are the different ways available to provide calcium and minerals?

I give them seed and grit with calcium.
I'm giving vitamins in daily water
I've ordered Lafer?? For finches
And Zupreem for very small birds

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: mineral block and cuttlebone

Post by Fraza » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:51 am

goldfinchowl no it’s fine for them I have stats society’s and zebras that eat them
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:40 pm

Fraza
Thank you good to know it's ok

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:27 pm

The cuttlebone is fine. The mineral block, you might have to shave with a shredder that you can get at a grocery store. Shave a little off and put in a treat cup or with mineral grit. They should have ground oyster shell for small birds too. Some hard boiled shredded egg once a week and finely crushed egg shells always available for calcium. I would not use vitamins especially in water. You can overdose, and don't know exactly what they are getting. Vitamins in water can cause bacteria to form. Societies love greens, like dandelion leaves, romaine lettuce and finely chopped kale. Always wash with clean water first. I use organic greens. Mine don't like Lafeber's finch diet. They mostly eat white proso millet seed and canary grass seed, also millet spray and japanese millet seed. They get a little finch mixed seed too.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:29 pm

If you give hard boiled egg, it has to be removed in about two hours, or it will spoil. If giving store bought dried egg food, that can stay in and won't spoil.

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:02 am

wildbird - thank you

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:28 pm

goldfinchowl - I also offer grit and cuttlebone but their most important source of calcium seems to be the shells of hard boiled eggs. They are available to my birds year round. I can even tell when one of the females is getting ready to lay eggs judging by the increased amount of egg shells that disappear from day to day.

As for the Zupreem: do your societies eat those pellets? The goldfinches that you are considering will most likely not touch them. They need a very different seed mix from what your societies eat. If they are forced to eat a regular finch mix for a longer period of time (like during quarantine and at pet stores), they will most likely end up with liver, kidney damage and their life expectancy will be cut very short.
Hope this helps.
Iso

PS: I also offer bird charcoal in a separate dish to all my birds.

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:20 pm

isobea -thank you
I had checked on goldfinch diet and that they need more oily seeds then my society.
Would the society just ignore the oilier seeds or try to eat them which wouldn't be healthy for them?

I noticed that goldfinch and canary r crossbred often. Would this change the diet needs to be more like the canary seed based diet without the oily seeds needed?

As some online info states I believe a combined seed and pellet is best, proving variety and nutritional benefit. I would like to just feed pellets and just eliminate seeds husks but I feel seed is very important part of their diet needs.