Keeping picked vegetation fresh in aviary for the day

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Pinzer2
Pip
Pip

Keeping picked vegetation fresh in aviary for the day

Post by Pinzer2 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:06 am

Hello all, I have a pair of goldfinches for just over a year now. Have never run into health issues using a regimen to prevent mites and used a wormer just in case once - Anyhow I know that goldfinches are susceptible to cocciodosis which I have read like humidity and was wondering if I might be pressing my luck with using flower water tubes.... I typically pick bolted basil, chicory leaves, thistle heads, dandelion heads, and sow thistle heads from my bird garden; clipping them to the aviary with a binder clip and put the stems in flower water tubes, which prevents them from wilting for the day. Am I pressing my luck using flower water tubes?

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Keeping picked vegetation fresh in aviary for the day

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:56 pm

Pinzer2

Sounds like they get a good diet. A quick soak in pure white vinegar, and a rinse with hot water will detach bugs.

Or a day in the freezer will not kill the seed, but will kill the bugs.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:17 pm

What bugs? I don't see anything wrong with using water tubes to keep the greens fresh. Seems like a good idea to me.

Pinzer2
Pip
Pip

Post by Pinzer2 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:25 pm

Thanks Babs, Soaking in vinegar is probably a good way to keep pathogens at bay, but I only rinse the vegetation in water and not at all if aphids are in play (with goldfinches needing some extra protein - very picky my two “Mary” and “Pippin” with no interest in mealworms or crickets but they readily take aphids). I do use a cap of apple cider vinegar per half liter of water which works nicely to keep daily water clear... had not heard about pre-soaking vegetation in vinegar