Canary with a Chance of Scaly Leg?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
xboxpal
Pip
Pip

Canary with a Chance of Scaly Leg?

Post by xboxpal » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 pm

Hey everyone,

This here is my little Squash. Recently, I’ve decided to upgrade my flight cage to an enclosure with much more room, as I’ve been expanding my bird collection. While prepping for my birds to be transferred, I noticed how scaly the legs of little Squash’s looked. I read that sometimes this could be attributed to older age, but unless you consider 3 years a lot, then I don’t think that is the case. I also noticed how long his nails have gotten, so I ordered some nail clippers and we’re definitely going to deal with those tomorrow. If this is what scaly leg is, do you guys have any tips to help solve the problem? I’ve read that soaking the legs in hydrogen peroxide would help, but it might leave the legs dry. Also, applying different ointments like vapor rub or olive oil would work, but then someone said that some of them trap the bacteria or something like that? I don’t have SCATT readily available, so I’m looking for something quick that will do the trick, otherwise it will take some time to order some.
Attachments
7BE394F9-C061-46D3-9BAF-696350C4C1C5.jpeg
4A8760CA-3694-4A55-9EAC-A0C5BD5F3475.jpeg

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Canary with a Chance of Scaly Leg?

Post by Sally » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:51 pm

I really can't tell if it is scaly leg mites from the photos, but the nails definitely need trimming. I have never used any home remedies for this, I swear by Scatt or S76 for mites. You can order online, and it won't take too long, and it won't hurt the bird to wait for the correct medication.

Welcome to the forum!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:31 am

It does look like scaly leg mites, but this is not a lie or death condition and it can wait until you can order Scatt. Nothing else is 100% effective, though some don't agree with it I hear good things about lathering their legs in petroleum jelly daily for a week to suffocate mites and loosen scales. Chicken owners do it a lot and it does work.

Best to get Scatt though.

My male canary has scaly legs, always has, and Scatt and petroleum jelly don't improve them. But compared to yours, and pictures of mite-infected canaries, his scales are lighter colored and cleaner and I have determined he just gets keratin buildup, which is harmless, and not unusual for some canaries apparently.
~Dylan

~~~

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:15 pm

Are you sure he is three years old? The scales do get more prominent with age, and the nails are very long too. A diet rich in vitamin A might help.