Zebra Finch Leg Injury

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
ClayThe2nd
Pip
Pip

Zebra Finch Leg Injury

Post by ClayThe2nd » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:57 pm

I don't know how to post pictures so I will do my best to describe the injury. The bird is a female zebra finch. We had tried to remove her metal open band. This was a bad idea and we will never try it again. The leg in question is her left leg. When landing on a perch, she now will lean towards her right, and she can't seem to close her left leg. It doesn't look swollen, but it is red in a small area. Please help. I didn't mean to hurt her. I wanted to take their bands off since they kept getting caught on it, as well as pick at it constantly. I do apoligize to my bird and I apologize for my poor ownership and lack of knowledge for even attempting something as stupid as this, I just want to know how I can help her recover now.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Zebra Finch Leg Injury

Post by lovezebs » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:57 am

ClayThe2nd

I would keep the red area clean, and apply a dab of Polysporin if there is an open wound.

Is the sore spot on her leg, foot, or toe?
Is it possible that something was broken?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

ClayThe2nd
Pip
Pip

Post by ClayThe2nd » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:17 pm

It is on her leg. I don't think anything was broken as it is currently the next day, she can close her leg again, and no longer leans to the right. I can't tell if it's an open wound. Close up, it looks like a long crack on her leg. I'm assuming the bleeding stopped as the red area stopped getting bigger. I'm also assuming I now have to watch for infection, correct? Thank you for your help by the way.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:53 pm

It sounds like she is healing and will be alright. I don't like bands either, as they are a danger for the bird.

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:06 am

Have u tried putting some Neosporin (sp?)

Many many years ago when a parakeet escaped her cage and hit the window she had a couple of cuts and I was so worried. Neosporin worked great, the cuts healed in less than a week.

ClayThe2nd
Pip
Pip

Post by ClayThe2nd » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:03 am

Thank you all for your help.