grateful for advice on what I think is a dying fledgling

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Hbt
Pip
Pip

grateful for advice on what I think is a dying fledgling

Post by Hbt » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:05 am

Hi everyone,

A few days ago I posted under breeding, entitled 'expert advice needed' because I rescued a fledgling mannikin finch.
The comments have been useful but now I have a new development I was wondering whether someone might be able to shed some light on.

Quick context: I rescued (some say I should have done, some say I shouldn't have done - but I did, so thats done!) a baby bird 9 days ago. I believe it is a bronze winged mannikin finch. 4 days ago it started being very active and energetic and things were going well - looked totally different and was flying far far far better etc.

Reality: I live in rural Ghana where there are no bird vets even in the capitol and I have limited or no access to medicine.

Now: today it has turned down hill because it is not able to adequately feed. It had been eating about 4 termites (flying termites and just the squishy bit) every 1.5 hours - so about 25-30 per day.
But today this is what is happening:

here is whats happening: it chirps its hunger call, opens its mouth, so far successfully getting one per feeding session in instead 3 or 4 (squishy part of) flying termite in (this is what its been eating and it normally had about 25-30 a day).... but then it shuts its mouth or doesnt open it wide enough, seemingly wanting to eat it but not being able. on some attempts I get it in but then it sort of pushes it out as though it is unable to swallow it. it carries on the hunger call, opening its mouth again but not keeping it open, and then giving up, goes to sleep. its been sleeping the whole day so far (only one hour behind UK) which it had stopped doing about 4 days ago.

would these things correlate with air sac mites or pneumonia? just wondering, racking my brains in case I can do anything to stop its decline (know its doubtful).

I ask on here incase anyone else recognizes these symptoms. even just for peace of mine but especially if there is a certain antibiotic I could try and get hold of asap.

thank for any comments,
Hannah

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: grateful for advice on what I think is a dying fledgling

Post by Sally » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:13 pm

Hbt I doubt it is air sac mites. Sometimes hatchlings or fledglings simply fail to thrive, nothing you have done to cause it. If it was eating that well and being active and now is not, there may not be much you can do for it. Without having tests done, antibiotics aren't going to help. You have done your best.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:00 pm

It might want a different type of food. You could shred some hard boiled egg, mix a little millet in it and see if he will pick at it. You could mix a little shredded carrot or finely chopped kale in with it. The egg would have to be changed out every two hours so it doesn't spoil. Refer back to Sheathers post in your other post for food advise. If he is too young to eat on his own, he might need a formula for baby birds. Just have food available for him, and that is probably the best you can do.

Hbt
Pip
Pip

Post by Hbt » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:24 am

Thanks so much for the responses.
The bird is too young to feed itself - it is sort of having a go so to speak but not getting far - was assuming (had it stayed perky) that sometime this week, it would have succeeded in some self feeds.
I have access to egg but not baby formula (it is beyond frustrating not to have access to meds and proper food when I know how easy it is to get in the UK etc - it certainly makes me appreciate everything from pet shops to the NHS!)

- can I hand feed it mushed up hard boiled egg or does it have to eat that by itself?

Thanks again,
Hannah

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:49 am

Hbt

You can feed it hard boiled egg.

Just mash the egg up into a mush and offer with the end of a tooth pick.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:24 pm

harrisonsbirdfoods.com might be able to ship their neonate formula. It's very good. I've used it on wild birds. It can be fed to grown birds too. For them, I used to moisten a small portion with a drop of water, then flatten it out like you would pie crust, but very thin. Then cut into tiny beak sized pieces. Very nutritious and organic ingredients. Also, ladygouldian.com or ladygouldianfinch.com might ship there. I hope he is able to eat at least some of the egg.