Losing Gouldian Finches

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Mlaskey
Pip
Pip

Losing Gouldian Finches

Post by Mlaskey » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:47 pm

Help Needed.....
Over the last couple of weeks, I have lost 4 Gouldians, 3 hens and 1 cock. They appeared perfectly healthy, then they sat on the perch plumped up with their head under their wings. This went on for about a week, then I found them dead on the cage floor. They were eating and drinking normally at all times, even when they plumped up. They are kept indoors on heat.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Losing Gouldian Finches

Post by lovezebs » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:32 am

Mlaskey

So sad to hear of your losses....

My first advice would be to take them to your avian vet, if you have one available.

If this is not an option....

Grab your remaining Gouldians, and put them to your ear.
If you hear anything like clicking or ticking in their breathing, they have air sac mites, which is a killer of Gouldians and Canaries.

If this is the problem, you need to treat them with Scatt, which is available on line or at your avian vet's.

If you hear weezing, it might be an upper respiratory infection, needing antibiotic.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Losing Gouldian Finches

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:53 pm

Mlaskey

Bacteria & mold is sneaky. Make sure you are daily washing out their bowls with white vinegar (it has the cleaning power of bleach).

A single drop of apple cider vinegar in their water can keep bacteria from multiplying during the day if they poop in the water and you aren't home to change it right away.

If you dont have an avian vet, make sure you have a heat lamp to keep them comfortable.

Clean out all the bowls, refresh with clean seed and hope for the best.

:YMPRAY: