Urgent, screaming finch with no balance??

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Lightheart
Pip
Pip

Urgent, screaming finch with no balance??

Post by Lightheart » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:20 am

Hi, I have a female society finch who prior to this morning has been perfectly healthy as far as I could tell.
This morning I kept hearing her peep a lot, which is unusual as she’s usually a very quiet bird. When I took off the cage cover I saw rhat she was on the floor, with a scared dazed look. I turned on the light and hoped she would be okay. (Last night I had heard her and her cage mate, a male zebra, her startled, but I turned on the lamp and heard them both perch back and settle in)

Over the last 30 minutes she’s randomly started screaming and flying around her cage clumsily. Nothing is setting her off, no noises or movement. She ends up on the bottom of the cage, where her cage mate Ganner tries to comfort her.
I moved her to the small carry cage with some seed, and she’s perching but continues to have random screaming flying fits.
Her eyes seem distant and dazed, and she sometimes breathes with her mouth open.

I feel horrible because I have a 10 hour job I have to leave for in 30 minutes, and my family will be out for the day as well. I’m scared if I put water in her little cage she’ll drown herself, but I don’t want to leave her without water the whole day either.

They eat seed, pellets and fresh veggies. And before this she seemed very healthy and bright.

Any ideas or things I can do?

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Urgent, screaming finch with no balance??

Post by wildbird » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:50 pm

She has to have water. Use either a small treat cup or just don't put more than an inch in a bigger cup. You can use a water tube that has a small amount of water at the bottom of it that fits through the cage bars. All birds must have water available to them at all times. She could be egg bound. Give liquid calcium, a drop to the side of the beak, if you have it. Or if you have the kind that can be added to water, use that. You can also use Calcionate Syrup, bought from the drug store. Also, hard boiled, shredded egg is good at this time, but has to be changed out about every two hours to prevent spoilage. Store bought dried egg food can stay in, but is not as good. There are further directions for egg binding in this forum. Everyone who has a female bird should keep calcium on hand. I use Cal-D-Solve from Avitech. www.avitec.com

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:54 pm

Also provide crushed egg shells and oyster shell for finches, and a cuttlebone.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Lightheart

How is your Socie female doing?

I am thinking maybe egg bound...
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~