using heat lamp

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

using heat lamp

Post by goldfinchowl » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:45 am

I have 3 male gouldian starting their 1st moulting. I'm new to gouldians. Never been through any moulting.

1 other male got very sleepy and puffy and went back to breeder a week ago but not doing well.

On Sunday 1 of my 3 begun to get really sleepy. I added a heat lamp Under cage and Skin and Feather vitamin drops to the wAter. He has been quite active but last couple days starting to sleep some again.

I've added another heat lamp Under the cage tonight since tempeture is dropping.

I'm very hesitant to add a heat lamp on top of the cage.

I'm using ceramic heaters, 75 & 100 watts.

The windows r Single pane and very drafty so I had them blocked with plastic.
The doorway area which is also very cold and drafty I have curtains covering the entrance to livingroom where they r since front door entrance has no heating vents.
I'm not using central heating yet.

My concern with adding a lamp to the top is that it will overheat them.
I have 1st hand experience with heat lamps because if I don't use heat lamps for myself at night my arms and legs will go numb (feel like nerves or circulation is being cut off and lose feeling).
I have used both black and red heat lamps. While it reduces the going numb, I do get really toasty at times. At least I can regulate the heat if it gets too hot for me but the birds can't
Currently I have 2 black 50 watt bulbs. 1 overhead about 3 feet and the other further away at 6 ft. With red heat lamps further away.
If it wasn't for not wanting to go numb I certainly would turn them off. Black bulbs give much less heat then red ones. I've never used a ceramic for myself.
Once I start using the central heating it will become more difficult to regulate the heat lamps that must remain constant while the central heat increases the overall temperature.

The gouldians did perk up this morning when I turned on the heater to wRm the livingroom when I got up.

So is it enough to have the heat for the birds Under their cage? I don't want to broil them.
I read in a couple of places online that they need 75 degrees minimum while moulting round the clock.
I have a themostat on top of the cage. It is slowly each night getting a little colder. Was down to 71 this morning.

See picture of cage, the one on the right is theirs, I had all the other birds moved to the other cage yesterday.

2 of them were sleeping near center of cage, the other tonight decided to sleep on left upper part of cage.
Attachments
20181012_190317.jpg