Amoxycillin - for a finch without access to vets

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Hbt
Pip
Pip

Amoxycillin - for a finch without access to vets

Post by Hbt » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:45 am

Hello everyone,
Over a month ago I joined this great forum having rescued a fledgling mannikin finch after a storm.
It is doing pretty well - it's alive (!) so I take that as a good sign considering I am not a bird-keeper at all.
I live in rural Ghana and have no access to vets.

I am making a post about amoxycillin because I am hoping someone can advise me.

My finch has a bulge around one of its nostrils - the bulge is hard and is light pink and is at the top of its bill. The nostril is in the middle of the bulge and has subtle yellow discharge. I therefore believe this is due to some sort of bacterial infection. It is effecting the eye on the same side slightly.
The bird is feeding well and seems fine however the bulge is not going away. People have suggested I should lance it, but so far I have done nothing except acquire some amoxycillin.

I have a bottle with 125mg/5ml of powered amoxycillin. The bottle (for humans) instructs to add water into the bottle, shake and administer according to prescription.

I have no idea how much to give the bird and so thought one of you might know.
The bird still feeds with a syringe as well as drinking water of course, so I could either put the meds into the food or the drinking water.

Any advice would be great!

Thank you,
Hannah