Dead Owl Finch

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
limechiffon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Dead Owl Finch

Post by limechiffon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:21 am

I woke up this morning to find my 8 month old male owl finch dead on the bottom of the cage. :(( The breeder told me owls are a bit delicate but I have no idea what killed it. It wasn't injured in any way and clearly died during the night, as it was right below the corner with greenery they like to sleep in. It also didn't seem sick at all - was eating fine yesterday.

Any advice for owls' health that maybe is a little more uncommon, as I've read finchinfo and other sites already (many times)?

Also, the female is calling/meowing a TON this morning for her partner. I had a heck of a time finding these finches to begin with - took over six months to procure them. If I'm not going to be able to get my hands on another owl for at least a few months, is it better to leave her alone until then, or get her a different species as a companion?

I feel awful. First bird I've lost.
Gail
*Three Owl finches, 2 Zebra finches, a cat, one painted turtle, one red-eared slider, and too many fish*

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Dead Owl Finch

Post by Fraza » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:57 am

limechiffon what sad news sometimes it could be something as little as it’s eaten a bit of hair trying to nest so you will never no

I would suggest only a society/bengalease as a companion as these won’t bully the owl whereas other species might
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:27 pm

I agree with Fraza, a Society would be nice.

limechiffon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by limechiffon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:48 am

How long should I let her live alone before providing her with a companion?
Gail
*Three Owl finches, 2 Zebra finches, a cat, one painted turtle, one red-eared slider, and too many fish*

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:56 pm

limechiffon I would get one as soon as possible but it isn’t a vital thing don’t rush if there isn’t any healthy and well looking ones around
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:04 pm

limechiffon

They can be alone for a while if need be, so don't feel the need to buy the first bird you come across. I agree with Fraza and wildbird, as societies are good; I'd recommend a female since males might confuse/annoy your owl finch with their courtship song and dance. If/when you find a new bird, quarantine them separately for at least two weeks. After that, you can be more confident that neither your remaining owl nor the new bird are ill.

limechiffon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by limechiffon » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:31 pm

Thank you friends!
Gail