Zebra finch chick deformed leg

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
SimoneJane
Pip
Pip

Zebra finch chick deformed leg

Post by SimoneJane » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:41 am

Hi,
I have 4 zebra finch chicks. They fledged the nest box 24 hours ago and i have noticed one has deformed looking legs. I'm assuming this is due to being squashed up in the nest box. I have been gently massaging the legs into the right position and encouraging the feet to open. This does not appear to cause any distress to the chick but I am wondering if there is anything else I can do to sort this out as the baby is newly fledged.

Simone
:-)

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Zebra finch chick deformed leg

Post by Fraza » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:57 pm

SimoneJane if you can add a close up picture it would help

If his legs are stuck together by something there is liquids you can use
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:54 pm

SimoneJane

Is part of the issue slip toe (where back toe folds under rest of foot)? I had a juvenile gouldian with slip toe and tried correcting it by holding the back toe in the correct position using gauze tape or something, but unfortunately she/he kept removing it so that didn't work. Maybe your bird will tolerate it, though. Check out this article: Beak, Claw & Leg Issues

I would not recommend breeding this pair to each other again, unless you can determine an environmental cause for the issue.

SimoneJane
Pip
Pip

Post by SimoneJane » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:25 am

Thanks for your replies! I’m almost certain the issue has arisen from over crowded nest box as there were 4 quite large chicks squashed in it together. I have had 3 clutches of 3 chicks from
The same pair over around 18 months and not had the problem before. This time there were 4! I will try taping the back toe as it describes in the link.
Simone