Quarantine - can I cut it short?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
limechiffon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Quarantine - can I cut it short?

Post by limechiffon » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:29 pm

I got three new owl finches on Saturday (to go with my female that lost her mate). They came from a reputable breeder who treats them four times a year for mites. Do I still need to quarantine them for weeks? And what am I watching for during quarantine exactly? I've read the air sac mite symptoms may not be visible for 6-12 months, but they were treated not even two months ago for it (and for the scaly face). What else could they have that I need to keep them separated?

BTW, I am so excited to have new owls. I love the zebra finches' noises but the owls are so beautiful. :D
Gail
*Three Owl finches, 2 Zebra finches, a cat, one painted turtle, one red-eared slider, and too many fish*

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Quarantine - can I cut it short?

Post by Fraza » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:24 pm

limechiffon I think it should be fine I’ve never gone over 2 weeks for quarantine and all mine have been fine and I’ve boight birds from all places

Also if you have just bought 2 boys and 1 girl put one boy in with ur lonely female to start with then add the other new pair
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

limechiffon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Quarantine - can I cut it short?

Post by limechiffon » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:11 pm

Awesome. I've been trying to watch if either male has bonded with the new female but they haven't seemed to. I'll give one male to her and help her feel not so alone.
Gail
*Three Owl finches, 2 Zebra finches, a cat, one painted turtle, one red-eared slider, and too many fish*