fluffy boy

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
catherlee
Hatchling
Hatchling

fluffy boy

Post by catherlee » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Hello everyone, I would like to ask some advice. I've had this male canary for several years, and he is much "fluffier" than previous canaries that I've had. I thought he was cold, but he fluffs up like this most of the time, and even more so when I approach the cage. Strangely, I've seen him sleek down his feathers when I occasionally put him on the patio in good weather. There are no drafts in the room.
I think it is a defense fluffing, trying to make himself bigger looking. But I wonder why, as I've had him for several years, and he knows me. I don't think he has any health issues; he eats well and sings, and I don't hear any air sac mite noises.

Please also give your advice on his scaly feet. Is this age? I know I should clip those nails... he hates being held, and I might have to put some vitamin A oil on his legs and feet and clip his long nail at the same time to minimize his stress.[album][/album]
Attachments
20181201_131240.jpg
Pair of red-head Gouldians, male canary, blue poison dart frog, orchids, goldfish, clownfish, and a brindle greyhound.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: fluffy boy

Post by wildbird » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:31 pm

You canary is probably happier outside in it's natural environment and that is why the feathers sleek down. He is not sick. I never heard of putting vitamin A oil on the legs or feet, but there is some advice on that in previous posts on the forum. Look in the older "Health" posts.