Question about bathing

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Trinosaur
Pip
Pip

Question about bathing

Post by Trinosaur » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:28 pm

My society finches simply ADORE taking baths. I have 6 finches in a large flight cage, and usually in the morning I will put a dish down so they can take a little dip. They chirp excitedly for it when they hear me running the water in the kitchen.

Some days, I don't offer them a bath due to being occasionally busy, and I have caught them trying to bath in the tiny spouts of their water silos. They are just that obsessed! They don't care how much water is available to them, they are going to try their hardest to bathe!

I noticed today that since I didn't take the bath water out after they were finished, they went back to it in the afternoon for a round 2 bath. I figured they'd just ignore it but nope, they wanted more.

My question is: how much bathing is normal? Should I be concerned? I spray the enclosure/birds with a safe mite spray once a month so I don't think that's it. I'm wondering if there's something else I'm missing here.

catherlee
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Question about bathing

Post by catherlee » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:02 pm

I've seen my canary take a bath in the morning and early in the afternoon. I think the concern with late baths is that the bird will catch a chill.

In my opinion, if they enjoy it, let them!
Pair of red-head Gouldians, male canary, blue poison dart frog, orchids, goldfish, clownfish, and a brindle greyhound.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:12 am

I wouldn't worry about mites. All those things have insecticide in them and I wouldn't expose the birds to it. My Societies take lots of baths too.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:10 pm

It’s fine my birds in avairay have two bath waters available all day , morning and they sometimes bath 4 times through the day especially in summer
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3