Gouldian sick , i need some advice

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Gouldian sick , i need some advice

Post by StodOne » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:34 am

Well my gouldian has been acting up recently ,in the last 2 weeks, she wouldn't fly away when i put my hands near her although she did not show any signs of being sick , she just seemed like she wasnt afraid of me and would even get on my hand.
Today she fluffed up a bit and her vent is a little dirty (It might be an accident that it is dirty because it just just one little blob on her vent the size of a proso millet seed) she has a bit runny droppings with more water , perhaps because she is drinking more water i believe .
She does have a little clicking noise when she breathes but she has been doing that ever since i got her , not only her all the of the birds have this verry hard to hear clicking noise i dont think it is air sac mites because they would have died by now from that .
Also the temperature of the room can get down to a very low temperature (dont know precise temp. but if i dont have my fire running the room gets uncomfortable even for me , so i am afraid that she might have gotted cold , could someone tell me the symptoms one bird might show and how to treat her if she has cold , thank you in advance.
EDIT..
When i put her in the hospital cage she kinda started chirping all of a sudden towards the other birds and keeps looking in their direction , i dont know .
I forgot to add that she has a little bit faster breathing when i am around , now that she is in a hospital cage i cant really notice her breathing any faster and deeper then usual.

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Re: Gouldian sick , i need some advice

Post by StodOne » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:10 am

I would also add now that i have examined the droppings , the urine seems yellowish , everything else is fine.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:07 pm

StodOne

Do you have a heat lamp? When I got a gouldian a couple of years ago and she fluffed up and started and sleeping, I used a heater then rigged up the heat lamp and she recovered after a few days. Just make sure your gouldian can get away from the heat if she likes.

If it looks like she still has poo on her butt, wipe it off; sometimes it forms a cement-like paste on the vent and makes the bird unable to poop any more.

I'd treat for air sac mites just in case. Birds can have low-level infestations that their immune system keeps under control, but once they become ill, the parasites can take them down. Speaking of which, I need to do a round of Ivermectin tomorrow.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:10 am

If she is upset, then I would put her back in with the others since she was already in with them anyway. If she has to remain in the hospital cage, then place it near the other birds so she doesn't feel so alone. She probably got cold in the room.

Tengo
Pip
Pip

Post by Tengo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:12 pm

Hello,
My gouldian breathing heavy.
I bought it 2,5 month ago. It was clicking and had not voice. I treated with Scatt 3 times, every 21 days. After first treatment he became healthy but after second treat he became again sick. Its tail bobbing, breathing heavy, often clicking and sleeping. Sometimes wake ups drinking water and eating. Please help me. I love my Gouldian boy.
P.s. I thought that maybe he has another viruses or bacteria? I need your advise. I am going to use Doxycycline during 10 days. Does it kills viruses and bacteria?