Nesting of gouldians

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
shore
Pip
Pip

Nesting of gouldians

Post by shore » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:12 am

I've had my pair of gouldians about 6 weeks. Last night they went into the nest box for the first time once the lights went out and stayed there all night. They have not returned to the nest during the day. I have left nesting material in the bottom of the cage but so far they have shown no interest in it. Should I expect that they have mated or do pairs often sleep in the nest without mating?

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: Nesting of gouldians

Post by paul-inAZ » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:32 am

Are they old enough to breed? In breeding condition?

Mine literally never sleep in the nest box so that is unusual. That could be a prelude to breeding. If they were mating in there you should see the first egg in 3 or 4 days. Laying eggs takes a lot of calcium. Make sure she gets plenty of calcium -I use crushed eggshells + a bit of ground up oyster shells +dried egg food.
Once she has finished laying eggs she will spend 24/7 sitting on the eggs with dad relieving her for a few minutes a couple of times a day.

Another possibility is that they are still very young and feel insecure sleeping in the open. That would be most unusual.

As to nesting materials, mine show little to no interest in carrying things into a nest box to build a nest. I put an inch or two of shredded paper from my document shredder into the box and that is what they use as nesting material.

shore
Pip
Pip

Post by shore » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:56 am

Thanks. I believe they are old enough to breed. The breeder where I bought them said they were. I have been putting crushed oyster shell and egg food in with their seed since I purchased them. If they are breeding, is it unusual that they initially spend the entire day outside of the nest? Also, I purchased another pair a few weeks ago and I have a second nest box in the cage in case they decide to breed also. My cage is an aviary style and is quite large. Any advice you can offer would be most appreciated. Sorry for all of the questions but I am new to this and want to keep the finches happy and healthy.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:27 am

If they are breeding they will usually mate in the box but that doesn't take all day or all night. They're fairly quick about it.
From there she will typically spend a variable amount of time in the box each morning to lay eggs starting at ca. day 4. She will lay one egg per day until finished laying -typically 4 to 7 eggs- during which one or the other may sit for varying periods of time but not at night. When finished laying she will begin sitting tight 24/7 until hatch.

As first time breeders they sometimes don't get it right and the eggs can be infertile. If so they may toss them or eat them after a week or so.

I don't colony breed but those that do seem to have no troubles. Two pair w/2 boxes should be fine.

shore
Pip
Pip

Post by shore » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:49 am

Thanks for the helpful information.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:29 pm

shore

If your gouldians are sleeping habitually at night in the nest (with no eggs), they are likely society raised.

Check the nest for eggs. If there eggs that is a good sign, your hen is getting used to sitting if she is new. Takes practice.

My females would be nervous in a colony breeding situation (even with my 6 foot flights), but if the aviary is the size of a walk-in , it can work.

Once a female has a nice breeding 30 inch wide for just her mate and herself , they settle in nicely.

The hen runs the show, so try and read what she needs.

Gouldians sit tight on their eggs on day 6, or when the last egg is laid-whichever comes first.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:18 pm

shore

Is she sitting tight? Sitting day and night with the male swapping while she eats?

With gouldians, they are poor nest builders so roughly make a nest for them inside the nestbox with coco fibre and let them design it from there.

Otherwise the male may take the extra pieces and just build a layer over the eggs in an effort to bring the hen to mate again.

I leave no extra nesting materials on the ground for that reason.

shore
Pip
Pip

Post by shore » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:33 am

They have stayed in the nest all night for three nights now. So far no eggs. They both exit the nest in the morning and don't return again until lights out at night. Don't know if this is unusual behavior or a pre mating ritual. The other pair in the aviary are still sleeping on the perch. I have provided 2 additional nest boxes in case they are interested but nothing so far.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:27 am

Babs' comment on their sleeping in the nest if they were foster raised by societies is likely right on target. They learn that behavior from the foster parents. The thought never occurred to me because I don't foster out Gouldians or buy birds that were foster raised.

If possible, call the breeder to ask if they were fostered.

Give them some time and you will find out if they are in breeding mode or if the nest is simply a bedroom. If no eggs appear you can remove the nest and they will learn to perch sleep like Gouldians.

shore
Pip
Pip

Post by shore » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:58 am

Their behavior has not changed after 6 days. As soon as the lights go out, they are in the nest for the rest of the night. If I leave the nest alone, is it probable that they will eventually mate?

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:14 pm

Hard to answer that one. They could breed depending on several things.
Is she in breeding condition? Is her beak charcoal colored?
Any signs of courtship behavior?
And a big one is if she likes that male. A small % of pairs are simply not interested in each other.

I'd give them something like 6 weeks and then remove the nest if nothing has happened. Wait a month or preferably three, put them on a breeding diet and try again.

A site with useful breeding info:
https://planetaviary.com/part-4-gouldia ... -breeding/

shore
Pip
Pip

Post by shore » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:10 pm

Yesterday I noticed a pair of my gouldians (in an aviary cage with other gouldians) were engaging in a classic mating ritual. I placed a nest box on the cage with some nesting material in it and they immediately went to investigate it. The female spent some time arranging the nesting material.
Today, they have not shown any interest in the nest box or each other. Is this normal? Do they typically ignore the nest until mating and egg laying begin?

shore
Pip
Pip

Post by shore » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:17 pm

I placed a pair of gouldians in a breeding cage several weeks ago. They immediately started investigating the nest box and for the last week and a half, the male has been busy constructing an elaborate nest. The hen visits the nest and sometimes has helped to arrange the nesting material. There are no eggs yet. The hen seems to be eating and drinking constantly while the male is still working on the nest. Is this normal behavior prior to egg laying? How soon should I expect to see eggs if its going to happen?

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:22 pm

Watch for the male's courtship displays. Hopping up and down etc.and showing off to the hen.
When she gets into the mood she will say "yes" to his advances. When is hard to say. It usually happens but can occasionally be never.

Are they getting egg food? Important as a breeding conditioner.

shore
Pip
Pip

Post by shore » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:23 pm

yes. They are getting egg food.