Itchy Gouldian

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Sqqueamishossifrage
Pip
Pip

Itchy Gouldian

Post by Sqqueamishossifrage » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:55 am

Hello! Howdy! Help..? :?

Pretty new to Gouldians. Inherited mine from a friend’s mother-in-law, then came about two boys from a local pet store that I have gone to for years. Two month quarantine, no problem. Over the last week my purple breasted male has been grooming more in general, but it’s in that that I noted small ruffles of missing feathers. Nothing severe, but I’ve worked with plenty of species of bird before, but I’m also a veterinary technician so I know some (including myself) would say I can be the worst sort of pet parent. The vets I work with have so far recommended I up their vitamins some, increase overall temperature (deep south Texas has been unseasonably cold on and off the past few months), and monitor their eating (great appetites) and overall demeanor. While he’s a bit more quiet than the others, he still sings and flits about with the others, but I can’t help but think mites? Opinions? Suggestions?

Tonight I’m taking some general cage fecal samples and loose feathers in to run cytologies, for peace of mind and staff training, but I’m new to this species and even my vets seem overly cautious until we can better ID a single problem.
Attachments
612E7FBF-60EF-41FF-BF63-5C126647B343.jpeg
0921CCC4-0CAC-449F-9C64-54313938E241.jpeg
3F7F79C5-1CD0-4224-8C7E-8688743C0FAC.jpeg

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Itchy Gouldian

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:35 pm

Sqqueamishossifrage

He's probably moulting. Gouldians have a notoriously ugly moult, and often lose most of their head feathers and start looking like hedgehogs when the pin feathers start coming in. He'll need a lot of protein while he grows the new feathers, so make sure he's got eggfood every day during this time. Spirulina is also a good addition, as it is high protein (50%) and contains a fair amount of iodine, of which gouldians are often deficient. He should be looking good after a month or so.

Just looked at your username, assuming you like bearded vultures? They're one of my favorite birds.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Could be beginning of a molt. They sometimes do it abruptly and can look pretty ratty as it begins.
Consider adding some egg food. I use the dried Quicko classic sprinkled on top of their normal seeds. Mine never seem to go for freshly boiled eggs.

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:13 pm

He's probably moulting. Gouldians moult every year, so give him lots of protein from eggfood.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

Sqqueamishossifrage
Pip
Pip

Post by Sqqueamishossifrage » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Thank you both so much for the quick reply! I know medically it’s all about listening for hooves and thinking horses, not zebras, but when it’s your pet you may as well be hearing unicorns!

How often and for how long should I feed this? There are 4 birds total, and he seems to be the only funky one.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:29 pm

Feathers are mostly protein. Growing new ones is taxing on the system. Specially with Gouldians who can do an entire molt all at once instead of gradually.
Egg food is an ideal source of the nutrition needed to grow feathers.
I offer it daily during an active molt, and add crushed eggshells as a source of calcium.