Female zebra sick

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Female zebra sick

Post by StodOne » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:47 am

Well my female gouldian has passed away , I tried everything nothing worked, now I noticed my female zebra finch was acting up .
So this is how it went.
Firstly I want to mention that the gouldian and zebra were in separate cages not event cage to cage close.
Now first thing that was out of the ordinary was that the zebra is not sleeping on her usual spot but rather next to the male.
She is puffed up and when I am watching her she is closing her eyes a bit and half closing them.
When I reach in the cage to do something she responds quite normally and flies away but even with my hand inside the cage she puffs up on the opposite side.
She keeps opening and closing her beak and clearing her throat.
There was a little bit of poop buildup , not a lot just a tiny millet sized blob which I removed.
Her legs are a bit wide when sitting but I doubt it is egg binding as she is showing these symptoms a few days now .
I have not checked her poop properly but from what I've seen it looked quite normal , but for now I don't know I have to check on a piece of paper , when she poops she looks like she is having a hard time , she first lowers her tail portion all the way down basically squats and I even heard the poop coming out once when I saw her doing that, after the poop comes out she bobs her butt up and down rapidly a few times.

I will say in advance that vets are not an option simply because "vets" where I live don't want business with small birds and they are mostly uneducated .
Medication will be hard for me to find , if there is a natural way to treat her with some kinds of fruits or what not.

I also forgot to add that before my gouldian has gotten sick I kinda lowered down on giving them fruit and veggies, I honestly kinda forgot about that and I didn't have any fruits in my house as well.
Could this be malnutrition or something else?

Also there is a little bit of wall fungus in the room .
They did not have these issues before I moved to another room .
After I moved them it took a few weeks before I started noticing these symptoms.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by StodOne on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Re: Female zebra sick

Post by StodOne » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:50 am

If you know anything I need to check if I missed anything.
Honestly this site is my only help when my finches get sick as there is no such thing as a bird vet here.
I don't want to agitate her too much as I feel that she is week.
She does occasionally chirp but not as much as she used to .

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:20 am

She started chirping all of a sudden and started eating proso millet that is hanged , but she is still all puffed up , her voice is the same i am waiting for her to poop on the paper to inspect it but for now nothing.

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:35 am

Also I know that garlic has good antibacterial properties , so i am wondering if it is safe to give her a bit of it to nib on ?
Or do i need to prepare it for her ?

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:41 pm

Anybody?
I am worried sick about her I'm not sleeping just waiting for a response , if there is anything I have to inspect apart from what I already said please tell me .

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:03 am

Egg binding can last quite awhile. I had a female sparrow who was not well for about ten days. She layed a soft shelled egg. I'm not sure what the throat clearing would be, but you should get rid of the fungus or mold in that room. It is no good for you or the the birds. It might require a special way of removing it so the spores don't get released into the air. Are you in a rental? From the other symptoms, I would treat it as egg binding. Provide grated hard boiled egg. You can mix some millet in it and even shaved broccoli tops, and shredded carrot. But remember to change it out in two hours, so it doesn't go bad. Also, rinse well any broccoli or carrot before use. Provide a cuttle bone, crushed oyster shell and finely crushed egg shells. If you have any calcium for birds, that could be added to the water. Provide water without the calcium in it in another cup in case she doesn't want it with the calcium. You want to be sure that she drinks water as usual. Be sure that she is not cold, and if the cage is large enough, provide a ceramic heat lamp at one end. Be sure she can move to a cool area though. Most birds don't like the light from light bulbs, and that's why I use ceramic bulbs with a dome that is made for ceramic bulbs. But if she's cold, a light bulb could work. Just provide an area where she can get away from the light. Covering a corner of the cage will help keep the heat in. You can also provide dried egg food bought at a pet store. That can stay in all the time. I hope this helps.

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:32 am

wildbird
Thanks for reply .
I do have a heating pad that I can place on one side of a hospital cage.
I wouldn't want to agitate her now as she is sleeping , its 5 in the morning here .
I have recovered the droppings tho' .
Not a lot as I couldn't really place the paper properly in the cage I will upload the picture , so someone that knows can inspect.

Hope the pictures work