Unsure if baby finch’s wing is broken?

For concerns related to avian illness and wellbeing.
Finchyyyy
Pip
Pip

Unsure if baby finch’s wing is broken?

Post by Finchyyyy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:29 am

Hello. We have a baby java finch, no more than a month old, hatched from a couple we keep. She’s not grown enough to stand up fully yet, and her feathers are still fluffy like a baby.
The issue here is that one of her wings point upwards at about a 45 degrees angle. She flaps her wings very little, and whenever she does it seems to be quite useless. But this might be related to her age.
Touching it doesn’t seem to be painful for her. And she doesn’t exhibit any other sickness symptoms. (Very voracious eater) The wing can be pushed downward be hand to the normal position, but once let go, it springs right back up.
We are getting worried that it’s broken, but after looking on the internet it seems that broken wings droop down instead of pointing up. So we’re really just confused. :cry:

P.S. We live in a city in Eastern Asia. Animal service here is lacking, and the vets usually don’t specialize in very small birds.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Unsure if baby finch’s wing is broken?

Post by wildbird » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:26 am

It is not likely to be broken. Possibly the way she was positioned in the nest or just hatched that way. If it is not severe, it might straighten out by itself with time. Something similar to taping a broken wing in position on adult birds might work, but I don't know what specific tape to use and how to do it. Just that it should not stick to the feathers. Maybe post a picture.

FinchMama
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by FinchMama » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:15 am

Hi Finchyyyy, How is your bird? :)

keijikage
Pip
Pip

Post by keijikage » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:07 am

I had something like that with one of the chicks I hand raised.

In the end it worked out okay and he flies just fine, but when he settles in and sleeps it sticks out again.

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39457